As I came back from vacation i was kinda shocked about a mail from atlassian telling me I´m running out of my automation limit. I then checked activations of my rules and indeed they kinda exploded.
When I created an tested my rules (I swear I remember it was like this) then the rules JUST wrote an activation/run when both the trigger WITH its condition matched. Otherweise jira didn´t even notice a run/activation and didn´t count a record for that.
My example:
Atuomation rule should run and do something (doesn´t matter what) when a UserStory is created.
So the trigger is "create issue" with condition "issue type equals UserStory".
Now this rule gets activated and counted as a run of an automation rule EVERY TIME an issue (no matter which issue type) is created.
imho the condition "issue type" only makes half sense....
...and I swear there was no activation when I left into my vacation 2 weeks ago 
Could someone please help?