What happened to the parent-child issue link type in JIRA?
Is there a better way to establish parent-child relationships than adding back in a custom issue type for parent-child? I haven't used JIRA since before Scrum and Kanban boards were introduced, so guessing this functionality has been swallowed up by Epics or some other functionality.
Example: I create an issue for a feature called "Ability to Attach a Photo". Then a create issues for "Ability to Attach a Photo using Camera Roll", "Ability to Attach Photo using Camera", "Ability to Attach a Photo using...". I don't want to create them as sub-tasks because they are independent features on their own and we don't have to complete every single one in the same sprint. In the end, "Ability to Attach a Photo" will not have any work logged against it directly, the work logged will be the sum of the child issues.
Options:
- I could make "Ability to Attach a Photo" an Epic, but then I'd have tons of Epics, and "Ability to Attach a Photo" is already part of an Epic to begin with. So I don't want to do that.
- I've thought about creating a custom issue link for parent-child but I'm guessing there is a good reason it was removed by default - just not sure why yet!
- I don't create the issue "Ability to Attach a Photo" to begin with because it's just for helping out the product/project manager and doesn't translate into any work for the developer. I don't like this either because I often create issues without knowing how it will be implemented (I know that I want the ability to attach a photo without knowing how many different options to support) and I don't want to be discouraged from creating the issue into the implementation has been flushed out.
- I could make each of the child issues sub-tasks, but then they are directly tied to the parent, and I can't assign them to separate sprints. I'd like to implement "Ability to Attach a Photo using Camera Roll" and "Ability to Attach a Photo using Camera" first, and then additional options in a later sprint.
So none of these solutions are really good. Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated!