I'm trying to set up a jira automation rule based on project category. Is there a smart value for this field?
From Atlassian Support, this is the correct Smart Value:
{{issue.fields.project.projectCategory.name}}
Hi @Joe
I envision it's something like {{project.category}} if it exists - or perhaps {{issue.project.category}}?
How are you looking to utilise the category? If you provide more specifics about the rule, it'll help us find a solution to your overall need
Ste
I've tried both of those and neither of them work.
I'm not looking for advice on how to come up with a solution to my problem. I'm just asking a simple question:
Is there a smart value for the project category field?
For context, the JQL syntax for this field is "category."
If isn't working with the options I suggested above - I tried them also in a test instance - it might not be available.
{{issue.project.XXX}} is how you access an issue's project information via smart values.
I know this is Server documentation, but this page on Smart Values doesn't mention it under the "issue.project" section.
{{issue.project.category}} didn't work either.
Please try the guidance below to find an unlisted/undocumented smart value, using the REST API to capture an example issue:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/find-the-smart-value-for-a-field/
Note that if this does not provide an exact match, it may get you close enough to experiment and find the name.
Best regards,
Bill
Awesome! Thanks for sharing this!
Thanks, @Joe
I hope that the smart value documentation will eventually centralize this information and align it with the REST API output.
__Bill
can't get it to work, can anybody tell me how exactly this is supposed to be implemented in an automation?
Any update on this one?
I have tried LOTS of different iterations and can't get anything to pull back the Project Category.
YES {{project.name}}NO {{project.projectCategory.name}}NO {{project.projectCategory}}NO {{project.projectCategory()}}NO {{project.projectCategory.name()}}YES {{issue.project.name}}NO {{issue.project.projectCategory()}}NO {{issue.project.projectCategory.name()}}NO {{issue.project.projectCategory}}NO {{issue.project.projectCategory.name}}
NO {{issue.fields.project.projectCategory.name()}}
NO {{issue.category}}NO {{issue.category.name}}NO {{issue.category.name()}}NO {{issue.project.projectCategory.id}}
Hi @Amy McCann
I just tried...
...and it works for me.
Assuming you've checked the Project has a Project Category, could you give us the full rule details so we can try to replicate your issue?
I could never get {{issue.project.projectCategory.name{}}} to work either. Used correct case, tried in quotes, without quotes, stood on my head, etc.
I gave up and did {{issue.project.projectCategory.id}}. It's now working.
Hi @Celina Kincaid -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!
If you did try this:
{{issue.project.projectCategory.name{}}}
The reason that did not work is the extra curly brackets after name. Please try this instead:
{{issue.project.projectCategory.name}}
Kind regards,Bill
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.