Let's assume that I have an issue to improve the process for handling customer rescheduling, and that this issue was completed (resolved) in June 2018.
Fast forward to July 2020 and we now have a new issue to further improve the rescheduling process. This ticket will build upon the earlier one, but along the way we may also remove or change the functionality to the point that the first issue is no longer 'accurate', in terms of what the process does now.
Obviously we want to keep the original issue in tact, as it gives us a history of what was done and when. But I am unsure as to what is the simplest way to make it clear that:
- the two tickets involved the same process/feature/functionality
- The newer ticket builds upon the original
- The original ticket may now be outdated, in terms of the resolution. In other words, the newer ticket may have changed what is detailed in the solution for the original issue
- The newer issue should be considered the 'most current' solution
I'm sure I am overthinking this, but I feel like there could be a simple solution that I am missing. Surely this must be a common situation and I'd like to know how others solve this problem.