Currently our process for cost estimation looks like this:
we create estimations for the workload that is to be expected, send an issue into a generic "Waiting for customer"-step with the request for approval (this doesn’t yet us real jira approval) and after the customer writes back "yes X hours’ time estimation approved" the manual fill a special field on the issue.
I want to automate this process, since it happens too often that once a customer approves my colleagues and I just start working, and do not follow the part with changing the field on the issue. That might lead to some issues in the aftermath, especially with complex and longer tickets where you would need to read 20 or more comments to determine how much time is actually approved by the customer (in case we had to reorder time later on especially)
Since the customers usually do not stick to just one phrase for telling that they approve the estimate, it is a bit hard to create an automation to do this automatically.
Recently I started thinking about using the approval mechanism of service desk in our favor. The basic raw idea would be to fill the field, let us call it "total estimate" with a value, send the issue into approval step and depending on the either approving or declining simply just stick with the value, or role back to the old value.
However, I have no idea how to make that happen, since I do not know how to access history data with the automation.
Did any of you already face the same challenge and might be able to share some insights and best practices on this?