The 'full name' field is grayed out, and I can only change the email and username. How do I change the 'full name'?
Assuming you mean user accounts, you should be able to rename a user in the user management section (which isn't really in JIRA technically)
unfortunately, still not possible.
The User them self can update it in there profile settings --> Atlassian account. As an Admin you can do it with logging in as the user, but you might need to change their password.
Until now still cannot change. The "Full name" textbox just disabled and cannot edit.
Why make the update profile so hard for us?
Pls advise ASAP. Thanks.
Following...
This is what worked for me, since (as you might have noticed) Atlassian moved to a new IAM system. Let the user log in to https://id.atlassian.com/
Change the full name to your desire.
atlassian_id.png
Then wait for eventual consistency. It took a few minutes for the update to percolate.
Do this at your own peril...
Atlassian are enforcing this restriction only client-side. Using your browsers developer tools, you can remove the disabled attribute from the input field.
disabled
You can now edit the Full Name and successfully save it.
A workaround is to use the browser's developer tools. In Chrome:
This worked perfectly! Thanks for taking the time to respond!
Thanks Jakob!! That's so user friendly I want to cry 😂
OMG, you made my day!
This seemed to do it. I originally had my initials as Full Name in Atlassian account, and real full name in Cloud account. When they merged the accounts, they changed the initials to both accounts, which my cowrkers did not appreciate. So I tried to change the Full Name for the Atlassian account, which never (2-3 weeks) relayed to the Cloud side. This saved my day
Great tip - worked a treat.
As administrator I REALLY need to be able to control the display name for new users. Some of our users are external - we identify them by adding the client name to the back of the display name
WHY DID THIS CHANGE - it was perfectly fine the old way
this is very disappointing / not at all user friendly / obvious
I completely agree!!
We got the same problem. Some long time ago created accounts are in different naming convention, and i have no option to normialize that. I don't want to deletecreate new!!
To change the full name, you need to be logged in as that user. Once logged in:
1. Click on the user icon and select 'Profile'.
2. On the profile page, click 'Edit Profile'
3. Next to the full name field, select the link for 'Manage in Atlassian Account.'
On the next form you can edit the full name for the current user. Enter the name, Save it, and it may take a few minutes for the change to propagate through the system. A browser refresh may also help.
Signing on as a user is not an acceptable response. First of all I would consider this to be a huge security breach especially if I change data that the user technically should "own". The sign on option is nice to check what the user is seeing versus what I might see as admin but I would never change data on what is effectively their view of life.
Applications should have names that are for display only - i.e. stand independent from any other application security.
Emails / sign on user ids can be totally separate entries that remain uneditable.
Display names are exactly what they sound like - they appear on reports / screens only and they can be managed by the user OR by the application administrator
None of the proposed solutions worked for me.
@[deleted]when are you going to fix this?
I think the workaround / hack suggested by Jakob is out of date now (or at least doesn't work permanently).
Getting the user to change themselves (along the lines suggested by Joe Lehn) should work though, but I guess that is not what you are after.
For what it is worth, there is a suggestion on Atlassian's public issue tracker about this: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ID-6415
Atlassian have responded on comments of that (for example on 11 Jul 2017). That's possibly the best one to watch/vote/comment to look out for updates.
Hopefully someone from Atlassian will come on here and comment.
Thanks,... #stillfrustratedbutnottheendoftheworld
@Sprize :-)
this works fine.
the browser / dailog Workaround doens't work
same for me.
Thanks @Dann Martens
This worked for me too, thanks.
They fixed this security issue... the hack doesn't work anymore.
This works only for the actual user himself, an administrator, even when impersonating that account, is not able to do this.
As an administrator I can edit my own name following the above steps, but a user that is not an administrator cannot do this for their own profile and administrator with global permissions is not able to edit their name for them even when impersonating them.
Yes, that's correct.
You can not change the full name of an account that does not belong to you.
This should be fixed. I can't run after everyone who only enters the first name when signing in.Atlassian, why do you change thinks that work? I don't get it.- I can't delete rooms in Stride.- The UI of Jira is far less intuitive than before and I have to explain everyone in our company where they can find their stuff- And now I have to run after everyone if they don't enter their names correctlyThis is annoying...
This is so stupid. I can't even set the full name or username when inviting a user, nor can I edit them afterwards.
That's correct, the accounts do not belong to you, they belong to the user.
Wrong, its my corporate JIRA instance. They do belong to me. All your base are belong to us
Ok, it's not Cloud. So you can edit them. I guess you're just looking in the wrong place.
Kindly follow the below link to change the full name:
https://id.atlassian.com/profile/profile.action
Hopefully it helps.
that helped
An admin should have full access to change display names for accounts that they administer. How do I police a user that posts an incomplete or even inappropriate display name? Delete them is the only option?! That's just crazy.
They do. But the accounts are not yours, they belong to the user (And Atlassian). It would be illegal to let you change my name on my account because you would affect the use of it in all the systems you do NOT have any rights to change.
I would say that is a massive Atlassian design flaw then, because if my organization is granting a user access to our JIRA information, and we demand that all users supply their full first and last name instead of just one or the other, then we have a problem we cannot fix.
In my opinion and my employers, we do own that account access, and if we choose to demand that user to supply specific information in their account and have no way to enforce it, then that's a product shortcoming.
So how does Atlassian plan to address that?
The way I have seen this handled in the past is to separate the functions
i.e. keep the bit that is needed for single sign on separate / in the system admin function side
and have a "display" name available at the application level
the display name is linked to the user id but can be updated / edited as needed to provide some level of application specific naming consistency. I would go so far as to say the display name could only be updated by an administrator - not but the user themselves
I think I originally logged this issue - have given up in expecting a reasonable response (or even understanding as to why this is a problem for some of us) and as suspected generally see a big mix of ids in reports. from our perspective (we are small users but ...) - it is very hard to know for sure if someone is internal or external (a client) by just looking at the name. We generally can tell by the project but that should not be the case
my 2 cents
No, your opinion does not fit with the reality of it here. You do NOT own the account. You've invited it into your system.@Betty Quaywrote up a decent approach to fixing it in between my comments, although it suffers the weakness that the user can start seeing different names in different systems, which is counter-intuitive and likely to cause problems (especially for someone like me who has access to dozens of Cloud systems).However, as far as I can tell, Atlassian have no plans to change this.
You say you're trying to help, but you're insinuating that we're not reading previous comments, and therefore don't understand the issue. You state that our opinion does not match reality. For someone wearing the "Community Champion" moniker, you're doing a terrible job making people feel like part of a community.
To be clear Nic, I TOTALLY understand how it works. So does everyone else in this thread. We just disagree that this is the right approach for us (the customer). You can take a stand that we're incorrect and try to deflect our dissatisfaction of the product, but our comments are not meant for you. It's for Atlassian. So please, do us a favor and help. Be quiet.
Atlassian, I'd love to hear an official response on this complaint from multiple customers. One from a real company representative and not a community fanboy. Can you help us understand why you took this ability away from us, and what your plans are to allow companies to administer their own instances of your products?
Use case #164641:
I just had a user come to me in a panic and state that they accidentally posted their password as their display name. Since they are not familiar with Atlassian ID, he couldn't find his profile page to change it himself. He asked me to do it.
The only help I could provide was to delete his account and have him start over.
The good news is that there's also a bug in Atlassian products so that any content created by a user with the same email address as before will automatically gain ownership over that previous user's content, so he didn't lose anything. That little gem has caused trouble for us in other ways though, like when jsmith leaves the company and we get a new jsmith that inherits the old email address (and therefore also inherits content) from the previous user. Good times...
Hi John,
Atlassian introduced the concept of Organizations to allow users to modify the details of cloud users. The catch is that the user's domain (e.g. @domain.com) must be verified with Atlassian as being owned by the administrator. It's not 100% what we're asking for, but it's something at least.
Organization administration
Domain verification (see "Verify a domain" section)
Managed accounts
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.