This USED to work for me, but now it seems things have changed in JIRA cloud when it comes to "Screen schemes", "Field configurations" and "Field configurations schemes".
I created a new project, using "Share settings with an existing project" flag, as I wanted the same fields, screens, etc from a previous project.
New project gets assigned "Screen Scheme X" (which was scheme in previous project) correctly.
The "Field Configuration" of the new project, gets assigned the "System Default Field Configuration".
I switch this manually to "Field Configuration Y", as I want it to match my original project (do not know why the default gets assigned, not a big issue)
However, there is "Custom field Z" that exists on ANOTHER project, that this unrelated.
"Custom field Z" is flagged as required.
When I go to create a new issue in the new project, I get an notice that "Custom field Z" is required and will not save my issue.
When I use the tool in the "Create Issue" screen > "Where is my field?" = it tells me that "Custom field Z" is a required field in the "Default Field Configuration"
But, "Custom field Z" is not assigned to any of my screens, and I'm using "Field Configuration Y", and not the "Default Field Configuration".
I'm not sure how my project is thinking that "Custom field Z" is related to it in any way, when the screen & field schemes have no reference to "Default Field Configuration" at all.