Tried to start a discussion around this but there were no takers so maybe this is just an odd question? I'm at a new company planning for growth and the vision is to use JIRA for project management of complex hardware/firmware/software/server developments (not exactly an Agile environment...).
The "Roadmap" provides a high level view of what is going on but if management is used to a MS Project view there are some major differences.
+ The subtasks don't show as schedule items, though I can see them if I select a task
+ The dependencies don't seem to drive the dates (lots of details around how this does or could work - subtasks rolling up to tasks, rolling up to Epics, editable at all levels, planned vs actual, ...)
Does the fact that there are 3rd party apps (Big Picture, Structure, ....) suggest JIRA doesn't do this natively (or at least not well?)?
Is 3rd party the best way to go or are there just better ways to use the Roadmap capability?