The scenario.
We set a few automation rules to avoid monkey job setting statuses for parent tasks/stories.
So when a sub-task moves from "To Do" to "In Progress", the parent task (e.g. a user story inherits that status too).
Problem: We want any team member to add a comment when moving a task from the status "In progress" to "Testing", from "Testing" to "Ready for review" and so on.
Solution: We created an empty Screen and added it as a result of every transition starting with "In Progress".
Problem: And we want the comment to be mandatory and have an ability to add even a screenshot.
Solution: We added a field Attachment to the Screen. Also, in the workflow, we added the Validator for the Comment field. Now it is required and when there's no comment, the custom message appears and tells what to do.
The issue we are having now: when a sub-task goes from one status to another, the parent's status doesn't change. If I remove the Comment Validator from the workflow (for every transition), it works perfectly, but then the Comment becomes optional. We need it as required.
The automation log says: Error transitioning issues "SDD-740" (Please provide the comment). FYI. The 740 is a parent issue. On one hand it makes sense because these rules and workflow apply to all types of tasks and mean that I need a comment for parent task to inherit another status (e.g. Testing).
The solution I thought would help: I added another Action in automation "Comment on issue" for the parent. And it adds a default comment that I customized, e.g. "Task is verified". However, it doesn't help despite it adds a comment and should've helped. I'm confused a bit.
Question: How to make it work and do not break the Automation?