I don't need time spent to be tracked for most tasks, but I do want the remaining time estimate updated every day. When on the Log Work screen the Time Spent field is required. Is there a way to make it not require input?
Thanks.
Would it be possible in your setup to use 'Edit' on the issue and modify the remaining estimate field?
Hi Sam,
The purpose of the Log Work feature is to log time and do automatic calculations on the work done and time spent. There is no way of removing the required condition for the field Time Spent. The only workaround is to just add 0 when doing changes.
The Remaining Time Estimate will not be modified if no work is logged unless you manually change it. The idea behind it is to track work time and not real time.
I hope that clarifies. Cheers!
Hello Mauro,
We cannot add a 0 to the Time Spent field. It has to be 1 minute or more, else it gives an error. But, even if we could, it would just be a hack to just leaving it blank.
I guess my real issue is that there is no way to update the remaining estimate without adding some value to time spent. I can only update the Original Estimate. This is bad for two reasons; first, for our workflow we don't care about time spent, only time remaining. Adding 0 ot 1 to this field is annoying and unnecessary. Second, time estimates change due to outside forces; some new information, a requirement changes, etc. that are not related to any actual work being done.
What is the reccomended way to deal with these types of changes to Time Remaining once the sprint has begun?
Thanks,
Sam
I have run into the same issue. While i'm working on issues, i regularly log work on various issues. When it's time to mark them as Done, it asks me for my time spent - If i've already logged work against the issue, i shouldn't be required to add more time spent on the issue.
Hi Mauro, I came here after a Google search on the same problem. Allowing Time Spent to be optional would be a welcome feature. Even allowing 0 would be OK, but it actually does not accept that. Best regards, Ferrie
I'm marking this as answered so Atlassian stops sending me emails about it. I am not satisfied with the answer though, which is essentially "no you can't". I understand the purpose of the field, but I see no reason we can't change it from being required.
Not in my case. The problem is not that the field has the wrong value. It's just an inconvenience to my team to enter in a value when we don't use it.
What is the use case you are using the 'log work' dialogue for?
If you don't enter 'Time spent', there's no point in using the work log?
It sounds like you just want to update the 'Remaining Estimate', which can be done via editting the 'Remaining Estimate' field of the issue.
Ok, I can do that from the Work view on the rapidboard. Is that a recent change? I started this thread a while ago and can't remember what this did back then.
The only problem I see is that you can't edit the Remaining field for the full issue view, only in the Work view of the rapid board or by Editing. this is probably good enough though thanks.
This would be because the workflow your Administrator has set up has a validator requiring timespent > 0 to be logged at that moment, not due to any Atlassian configuration.
you can go to the "Work Log" tab under Activity section of the issues where you can edit/delete the work log. There, you have your options not to enter time spent.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.