Hi,
It seems that reports in Agile boards do not contain any sub-tasks. My Scrum team uses Story and Sub-tasks, and I would like to include data of Sub-tasks in the Sprint Report and burndown chart. Where can I change the setting?
Thanks,
Miki
It ofcourse uses the estimates from the sub-tasks. What is the option you have selected that you have done in the 'Estimation' tab while configuring the board?
Hi Renjith,
Thank you for your quick respond.
I selected:
Estimate Statistic -- Original Time Estimate
Time Trancking -- Remaining Estimate and Time Spent
Are you estimating the values at the story level as well? I just did a test based on a couple of stories and with sub-tasks with estimates and I am able to see the burndown summing up the sub-task estimates.
Which version of GH?
No, we don't estimate at story leve. We add estimation to sub-tasks only. We use story as a place holder.
GH version: Atlassian GreenHopper - 6.1-rc1
I would also like to understand how I can have sub-tasks included in all of my reports.
Currently it seems that no reports will include data located in sub entitites such as stories in an Epic or sub-tasks in a Story.
This of course results in a reporting machinery that is next to unusable by me and my organization.
We have rough estimates in Stories while they are in the backlog and once they are handled on a sprint palnning meeting and brooken down into sub-task (with sub-tasks given an estimate) the top story is ZEROED out.
I too am finding sub-tasks AMAZING to use during a sprint, but VERY VERY hard to report on. I'm not sure why JIRA makes it so hard!!
Our team switched from Story Points to Time Estimation so that sub-tasks would burn down.
As you can see, the burn down chart DOES works with sub-tasks (it's the only report that does):
SS 2016-08-08 at 6.15.17 PM.png
Notice it says, "112h" at the top of the burn down.
Then, if you switch the Velocity Chart, it says the total Committed was only 3d 5h??
SS 2016-08-08 at 6.14.45 PM.png
When Sprint planning, the Workload report DOES NOT include sub-tasks, even though I'm telling JIRA to:
SS 2016-08-08 at 6.20.53 PM.png
Is there some magic setting in JIRA to just make all reports work with sub-tasks? We really like sub-tasks because they stay attached to the story as you move the story around.We have thought about changing to just using TASKS and linking to stories.... This would fix the reports, but then actually keeping track of all those tasks would be impossible.
How do other people do this? This seems so broken to me! Has anyone fixed this?
Be warned sub-tasks are not reflected in Epic reports or Release Reports
HOW can this not be an option? I only estimate tasks if they contain no subt-tasks, otherwise I'll only estimate the later. Now I can't see ANY of the reports because the tool simply does not contain an option to display ALLLLLLLL types to tasks in the report. Absurd!
The estimates on a sub-task are of no use in scrum. In scrum, you say "We will do X points, covering these stories". You then deliver them, or you do not. There is no partial delivery (your customers do not care if you deliver 1 point or 99 when you promised them 100 - you either deliver what you said, or you do not)
In real life, the estimates on sub-tasks can be useful during a sprint to see how it is going. Jira takes the easier and technically accurate route of ignoring sub-task estimates. It would be nice to see them internally, but as they are pointless in scrum, I am afraid the reports don't show them.
Hello Nic,
I understand that the Scrum methodology requires some specific configurations if you're following it 100%. What I argument is the ability to adapt the reports and gadgets to teams who wish to personalize independent of how the management tool suggests/imposes. Jira prides on their "custom" reports, but there's certain limitations that I see no reason for considering the data source is the one and the same. I simply believe if not to include the subtasks, a manager should have the option to sum up their estimates.
I honestly don't wish to start a thread on the subject here considering it is truly a product owner's choice, I have already contacted the support for a change request where I can add my vote. After some research I know I'm not the only one around the community.
I appreciate the quick follow up though!
Regards,
I understand the reply above but it seems to me there is inconsistent behavior in the way JIRA reports estimates for Stories.
Scenario:
Please help me stay in my management team's good graces.
This is very frustrating. Atlassian needs to offer true customizability rather than forcing users to adhere to their processes.
It is broken.
I suggest using regular issues only and then using "Link" -> "depends on" to Link tasks to their subtasks. However, then you cannot put them into an order or see the total cost of all subtasks easily...
Hi @Miki Yuzawa ,
In the latest version of our Great Gadgets plugin, the sprint and release burndown gadgets have an option to include sub-tasks, which you could use to achieve what you want (not as a report but as a chart). The plugin is available for both Jira Server (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1218777/great-gadgets-for-jira-server?hosting=server&tab=overview) & Jira Cloud (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1216564/great-gadgets-for-jira-cloud?hosting=cloud&tab=overview).
Danut.
@Miki Yuzawa - Sorry to inform but even now this is clearly not possible in the current JIRA and I could not find any reference that JIRA is working on improving on this feature view-and-understand-the-sprint-report
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.