I've just created a new Jira account, created a new project as a Kanban board (by following the setup wizard) and imported a trello board.
How do I enable swimlanes?
(I've checked https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-swimlanes/ and it says to click on "..." to get board settings - but I don't get that option. I clicked on the link to learn more about permissions and it takes me to a list of blog posts!)
Thanks for you help!
what type of project did you create? Next Gen or Classic and if Classic was it a software or business project? When you create a business project you will get a default non-configurable board. If you have a Classic Kanban board you should have ellipses in the top right-hand corner. Click that and go to board settings then choose swimlanes.
Thanks for helping Jack.
I don't remember choosing - but it shows bottom left as "Next Gen". Which I guess explains why it's not configurable (why???)
How do I go about changing it to Classic in order to make it configurable?
Hi,
You need to ensure your a project admin or an admin of the board before the 3 dots will appear.
If you go to the project -> project settings -> people , then check if your in the project admin role.
You should then see the three dots on the board:
Hope this helps.
Regards
Evan
you can either start over (often cleaner) or you can see this article - migrate-between-next-gen-and-classic-projects
Hi Evan,
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, when I go to project I don't see "project settings" on the menu (see screenshot).
Perhaps this is a "next-gen" thing?
Best wishes
Ro
If you go into the project first, then you should see Project Settings on the left hand side, like the below example:
You will only see this option if you have administrator rights on Jira (or your already a project admin of the project your on)
Great, thanks Jack - I started over, created a new project with the "Kanban" template and I got a "Classic Software Project" board. I can now access the swimlanes settings - thank you :-)
And that brings up another question, if I can ask it here?
How can I set up "manual" swimlanes? I simply want to give each swimlane a name, and put cards in the relevant swimlane. (For example, the lanes could be "new features", "bug fixes", "support requests").
Looking at https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-swimlanes/, the best option seems to be "query." (Would you agree?). But what field should I base the query on? I can't see anything suitable when I open up issues, so should/can I create a new field?
Thanks Evan - I've followed Jack's advice and deleted my next-gen project and moved to a "classic software project" which has given me access to project settings. I don't see a project admin role, but I seem to be able to set up the swimlanes now, so all set.... thanks for you help anyway
Hi @roymarriott
you already have appropriate rights to create a project, so this does not seem a matter of permissions.
Check first that you have properly created a kanban board for your project and then you will be able to configure its swimlanes, indeed as advised in https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-swimlanes/
Cheers,D.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.