Hi all,
First, I know that this issue has been raised a lot over the past 10 Years or so. However, I have not yet found a solution to the problem and I wanted to check if there is any effort made by Atlassian to address this issue.
My use cases are the following. We are currently building a jira/confluence structure for our company with a confluence space for every company division. Each division has a number of team members who have access to the space, others don't.
Now the first, easiest thing I would like to do is to share pages with users that are not part of this space. Say for example, the management division wants to share some information with a product manager. Of course, the product manager should not have access to the management space, but needs to view or edit certain pages or child pages. Or perhaps the hardware division needs to share information with production (but again, not every hardware development issue should be available to all production users).
Second, I want to share a page with a customer, where I provide current information on the production process. This page should be in the customer projects space. However, each customer should only see the corresponding page, not every project.
Third, the same thing is necessary in next-gen projects in Jira, where I want to assign Issues to non-Board members without granting them access to every issue in the project. This is again especially important in the development processes to protect IP and in the management because of data security issues.
So here is what I found so far: 1) not possible with confluence, 2) not possible with confluence 3) not possible with Jira next-gen Projects.
The following workarounds:
for 1) Make spaces public, protect the homepage and move pages that needs to be shared above the homepage in hierarchy. This is of course a ridiculous workaround, as it kills the complete structure of the space an only allows a one-level page.
for 2) Use an additional app to provide functionality of my second point. I could live with that. However I think this is a possibility which is offered by every other cloud based service and I don't really see the point, why Atlassian would just not provide that feature. Especially as they feature a "share" button, which can only be used to "share" a page with people who already have access to this page?!
for 3) Use classical Projects instead of next-gen Projects. This would mean lose the roadmap feature and transfer around 30 projects from next-gen to classical, which in Jira is everything else than straight forward. Just as above. I dont see a reason, why Atlassian would not even implement the most basic permissions settings in the next-gen projects. And I know that creating a custom Role in a next-gen Project will not help with this as this always means that you have to grant access to the entire project.
So I have finally come to a point where I consider to stop working with jira and confluence at all, which is sad, as I kind of like many features. However the points mentioned above really kill the experience for our company.
I would be interested to know how other companies treat these issues. If you have any further suggestions for workarounds, I am happy to hear about them. And if you can share any insight, on why Atlassian is ignoring these issues, I am also interested.
Cheers,
Felix