By definition, you cannot link an Epic to another Epic.
However, there's a bug in most recent version of Jira Cloud that in fact allows you to do this.
Steps to reproduce:
- Create an Epic.
- Create one or more Story or Task within it. Make sure they're linked to Epic.
- Convert this Story / Task into Epic.
Jira should invalidate relation when changing Story or Task to an Epic, but due to bug it don't do this.
The question is, how can I work-around this problem?
When I edit ticket, I cannot unlink because I see "An Epic cannot be linked to another Epic" error instead of edit field.
Converting linked Epic back to Task or Story and then unlinking it is not an option because linked Epics already contain a lot of connections and relations to their own Story and Task tickets and all these connections will be lost during conversion.
Do I have any other options?