I manage a large Confluence Cloud knowledge base - 1,200 pages totalling 1.3 million words. All created using the legacy editor, with cross-references and inter-page references making extensive use of anchors.
I'm currently reviewing some of the most popular pages for currency, broken external links etc. What I didn't expect to find is broken internal links. Lots of them. Invariably anchor links. It seems totally random except ... anchor links which are on password-protected pages generally still work. The same anchor links on the public-facing (anonymous access) version of the same page is generally broken.
I don't understand. The links definitely worked when they were first created - anything up to five years ago. But somewhere along the line they've just ... broken. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it connected with the anchor macro being deprecated in the fabric editor?
At the moment, my workaround is to simply remove the anchor links. With the fabric editor just around the corner, I'm reluctant to repair anchor links which are likely to break again. And linking to headings isn't available in the legacy editor.
Has anyone else encountered this? Any workarounds anyone can suggest?