I have been unable to determine how to link to a heading on the same page using the new editor. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Hi @Charisma Riley
I've found a solution, but this didn't work for me...
Try this out, which is explained here:
Linkable headingsOver the next couple of weeks, we're rolling out the ability to copy the link to a heading so that you can connect your users to the most important sections of a page.
To get the heading link
Edit: This behaviour works in view mode. so you have to copy the link in view mode and paste it in edit mode...
Regards, Dominic
It does work for me, but you must exit the editor, go to the published page, grab the heading url, go back into the editor, and then plug it in where it goes — for each and every link! This is *not* a viable alternative to using anchors.
I totally agree with you... There are a lot of users complaining this. Check out some other posts about anchors.
This is ridiculous and will take an enormous amount of time to undertake on some of our pages. Have Atlassian responded with any suggested changes to improve this view / edit mode.
I'm able to link it but when I clicked on it, it doesn't bring me to that particular section/heading that I've linked it to. Anyone else facing that issue?
Me too, tried several ways and sources for the link (copied it from the header in view mode, from the table of contents, created the link manually as documented, but nothing works.
The legacy editor was way better, and even after more than a year of releasing this new editor, Atlassian doesn't seem to fix very simple issues.
Was this fixed?According to https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/confluence-cloud-editor-roadmap/ links to headers are supposed to be natively supported.But they sure don't show up in any link interface we have in the new editor.
Hi @Charisma Riley and all the Atlassian Community!
Just do the following:::
Thanks, yay, I was able to make that work.
My interface didn't quite match the last screenshot - I had to select "Advanced" in the link tool modal that popped up.
If you have your Headings created and want to add the links, you can publish the page and have it in View on one browser tab and in Edit on another browser tab.
Then you can grab the links from the View and paste them into the Edit tab using the link tool. This saves you having to jump in and out of Edit mode.
Wondering that it is working for you with spaces in the link - if the header is just a single word it worked.
However when the headers had space within - "computer says no"
in general you are right - that is also how I did in the past - but as also discussed above its way to complicated;
the feature with the # as explained by @Beatriz Cruz above is better - at least if it works
@felix.weber if you look at the URL from the published page to a heading with spaces, it has hyphens replacing the spaces.So "#computer says no" would not link to the heading "computer says no", but "#computer-says-no" will!
We are on version 6.15.4 and this works for me:
But far from efficient.
To link to
add a link (ctrl-k) #My-heading-one
replacing spaces with minus
Wow this is awesome! My people will kill me if I tell them how complicated it is to jump to a title!
And it is getting weird as soon as someone dares to change the text in a title.
And don't forget to do it, again and again, each time the text of the title changes!
Hi there,
If my heading has special characters : its not working
Management-Pathway:-Pre-Sliced-or-Sliced-View-at-HMI-in-Print-Job-Details
the above one i have tried but no luck.
When I try to put in a link of the format #Link-to-section, when I save the page it replaces the link with just "#" which does not link anywhere.
Hey Chris, New here also. I have been having this exact issue. I had some punctuation in my title that I was using, I removed the '?' & "'"
For example:
My heading was "What is a hiring manager's role?"
- Every time it would just leave me with the # also.
I removed all punctuation and tried again and it worked. Hopefully, that is helpful.
Update it seems the '?' is fine to use. Seems the underlying issue is the ' which the linking doesn't like.
what a shit experience
What worked for me is ,
on your brower open the developer tools , in chrome ( Ctrl + Shift + I ) select the heading you wanted to make a link , copy the id name and the append your link with # .
I just found this article, using the latest version, still no better support for linking within the page, but I was able to go get it to work actively bring me to the desired section.
The link syntax that worked for me is "#<HeadingTextWithNoSpaces>"
for example, here is my section heading:
This is Section 100
The Advanced link setup would be as shown:
Looks like one can now simply use the /anchor feature to create a target in your document.
Link format will then be simply "#[anchorname]"
Has this just recently be added?
I'm new to Confluence, but I also found the Anchor feature in our Cloud solution and it's working for me, so far.
this is the only option that has worked for me. its also a horrible solution for linking between document sections and is annoying to maintain.
'-' between words of naming of 'Haeding' works for me! Thanks!
I successfully used this when the link to the header did not work.
Crudely put. But actually spot on! Its ucky guys!
For those of you who did not succeed with previous answers.
In my case, I did not manage to make it work starting with #<header with spaces> and #<header-with-hyphens>.
What worked for me was #<header-with-hyphens> but adding the url encoding for special characters as the url value.
you would put this as url value:
#Cr%C3%A9ation-d%E2%80%99un-certificat.
Hope this helps
Figured out a simple "fix"
This is the only solution that works for me in 2024. Thanks
Hey so I just discovered you can just copy the link to a heading in your page, by clicking on the little icon.
And then you can just paste that link into the selected text you want to include the link after clicking on the little link icon in the toolbar.
This was recently improved
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.