I am trying to create a template I can use with the "Create from Template" macro including a checklist. However, when I go to my space settings and create a new template with the "Create new template" button, I can tell it is using the wrong editor. My header bar looks like this: 
When I save this "template", it does not show up in the list of available templates using the "Create from Template" macro even when specifying a space to look in.
I found another space where someone else had created a User Template (one that DOES show up in the list of available templates using the "Create from Template" macro). If I edit that template I see a completely different header bar:

This one contains the Task List button on top where I can easily add checkboxes too. The only option I have using the other (first) editor is Action Items which I could work with but it doesn't even matter because my template isn't available for usage anyway.
Am I creating my template the wrong way? I have no idea what I'm doing wrong
Edit: Looks like the second template was created using the "old" editor which is being removed soon. So I guess the real two problems are
1) How can I add Task Lists in the new editor
and
2) Why can the "Create from Template" macro not find templates saved in the new editor?