Someone is doing work for multiple stakeholders. Their work is tracked in a Jira kanban board. They estimate their work in hours, which for their particular type of work (relatively low unpredictability) ends up pretty accurate.
The stakeholders are responsible for working with each other to sort out the priority of tasks. They can easily do this from the standpoint of relative importance, but I want them to be able to take into account the relative size of items.
Example:
- It is Monday morning
- Stakeholder A's request:
- critical importance to company
- estimate: 4 hrs
- needed by Friday
- Stakeholder B's request:
- medium importance to company
- estimate: 14 hrs
- needed by Tue EOD
On a strictly importance-based prioritization, Stakeholder A's request goes first. But with a deadline-based prioritization, putting Stakeholder B's request first allows both requests to be finished in time.
Obviously, it is important for the stakeholders to talk to each other, so I am not looking for a formula to skip the conversation. What I am looking for is an easy way for stakeholders to see when they can expect their request to be complete. I imagine something that simply says "given current time, working days/hours, position in queue, and estimates of items, return delivery date". I know this is risky for other reasons and can educate around that, but I'm looking for a rough tool here.
In the case above, if the items were prioritized as A then B, Stakeholder A would see a projected delivery of Monday, and Stakeholder B would see a projected delivery of Wednesday. This would alert Stakeholder B of the need to talk to Stakeholder A, since their item would not otherwise meet the Tuesday deadline.
Obviously simple when there are only two requests and two stakeholders, but my reality is a lot more complicated.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!