I am using Jira Core hosted in the cloud. I have Jira Administrator global access. This question began as a separate question "Why can't I create a subtask from the view issue screen?" found here:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Why-can-t-I-create-a-subtask-from-the-view-issue-screen/qaq-p/1226510?utm_source=atlcomm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=immediate_general_answer&utm_content=topic
I had set a Checkboxes custom field called "Department" as required for the subtask. Once I made "Department" optional, I was able to create a subtask. However, when creating the subtask, I want to be able to set certain fields such as Assignee, Due Date, and Department. The way it is currently, when the subtask is created it is automatically assigned to the Project Lead, and I am not given the option to set any custom fields without clicking on and viewing the subtask. Is there a way to set these values upon creation of the subtask? In other words, there is no creation screen that appears for the subtask. I can only populate the Summary field on the view/edit issue screen of the parent issue. Currently, both tasks and subtasks share the same create issue screen and view/edit issue screen. Any and all help is appreciated.