As a newbie admin user, I am seeing this pattern a lot on JIRA, and it leads to an extremely bad user experience. Please tell me I'm doing it all wrong, and explain to me what I should be doing!
Here's one example:
On Project creation, I'm asked whether I want a classic project or a next gen project. I'm new to this so I ask around. 'Next gen' seems to get the vote, but it doesn't look like a simple decision. But surely I can change my mind later...but I must get on, so Next Gen it is.
Down the road I have to choose Kanban or Scrum. Kanban seems to fit my case better, but again, not a simple choice.
I load up a project. Now I discover a whole host of restrictions imposed by those choices. Let's take one. Only one Sprint at a time. Maybe Scrum would have been better. But there's no way to change to Scrum now.
Search the mailing lists. Well, there's a Lab solution for parallel sprints, but not in Next Gen. OK, how do I switch to a classic project? Answer, I can't do that either.
These are not the only examples. How can I reorganise and make an existing task a sub-task? Answer: Recreate it. Really? Are you serious?
I thought we had eliminated 'modal' user interfaces like this back in the 80s.