Hi,
I'm using a velocity template rendered by the velocity template renderer from within a servlet. The template is rendered fine although my web-resources are bound like they should.
Problem is I cant get any of the built in velocity context elements like $dateutils, $generalUtil, $baseUrl and so on to do anything. Everything is rendered as string and seems not being processed as variables.
As those contexts are mentioned to be accessible from action- and macro-modules, I already tried to implement GeneralUtil as a velocity-context-item like that:
<velocity-context-item key="generalUtilContextItem"
name="General Util Context Item" context-key="generalUtil"
class="com.atlassian.confluence.util.GeneralUtil"
/>
But with no effort. Did I miss anything or is it just impossible to get them to work in a servlet-hooked template?
Edit:
Thanks for your fast reply John and sorry for my delayed response 
I followed Your suggestion and installed a lokal confluence instance via the atlassian plugins sdk 3.2.
Then I'd set up a new servlet-plugin project to run under Confluence 4.3. I am now able to use the applicationProperties Context just as suggested, but unfortunatly I still can't use the generalUtils or dateUtils items. Do I have to set up a manager instance in my servlet to be able to use them or should it be enough to declare them as velocity-context-item or template-context-items in the atlassian-plugin.xml?
Thanks and regards
Artee