I created an issue today that contained a list of simple actions that people needed to confirm they had performed. I asked them to just tick off their name in a list when they performed these, because I did not want to trawl the comments and manually update the ticket myself. (Partly because I expected a lot of tiny updates, and JIRA hides comments so you cannot quickly scan down---it becomes a multi-click job). Also, this was stuff that should be done in parallel, so assigning the issue to each person in turn would be desperately inefficient.
I was surprised and dismayed when it turns out that JIRA handled this scenario really, really poorly. Everyone kept overwriting eachothers' changes, because JIRA does not appear to have any form of optimistic locking or conflict detection.
Since JIRA lets people edit eachothers' comments (or maybe that's just me, since I'm an admin?) I thought about making each list item a separate comment, but it would both be laboreous, and annoying since some of the comments would be hidden. And it certainly is not an intuitive way to work with JIRA!
Can we hope for some form of conflict detection in the future, or do you have any suggestions for how to deal with this issue?