
Introduction
I have been working with Atlassian products for many years now. I started out with server solution for Jira and Confluence back in about 2011 and that carried me thru two different companies. In 2016, I moved to the Cloud for my new and current company. As many will likely agree, the Cloud can be a bit of a roller coaster with all the patience of climbing the hills to the excitement and sometimes scary dips and turns. While I have certainly been frustrated at times navigating thru sometimes daily surprises I will say that I love the Cloud warts and all. IMO, the benefits far outweigh the negatives. At the same time I am quick to acknowledge that Cloud isn't for everyone. At least not yet. ;-)
As an active Community Leader one thing is for sure, I get a great deal of exposure to how others feel about the Atlassian products. I thought I would start a discussion here about one of the more polarizing changes that has been introduced in the last year - Jira Cloud New Issue View.
My goal for this discussion is to create a thread where folks can share the things they love, hate and remain hopeful for where the new issue view is concerned.
Rules of Engagement
I want to make this a positive experience for all but also want folks to share how the honestly feel. I want this thread to be something that Atlassian product managers can review and leverage when making decisions about the changes they rollout for the new issue view. With that in mind please consider the following when replying:
- Keep it clean - express your frustration but in a constructive manner
- Play nice with others - feel free to challenge or question others input but respect their input
- Add context and supporting info - reference existing Community threads and JAC tickets
- Don't forget the positives - be sure to share some things you like about the new issue view if possible. In my experience PMs love to know what you like as that helps them focus on how they roll out improvements.
Disclaimer
As this is cloud and changes are happening daily some of this will be dated by the time we post it. But that is fine IMO.
References
Here is a link to the list of bug/enhancements for NIV - JRACLOUD-70555
With that...Let's get started
I'll go first:
What I like:
- The single most important thing is that I feel Atlassian is listening. They are rolling out changes to address the shortcomings that we are point out. Examples: Create Linked Issue (Business and JSD), View Workflow, Layout Configuration
- Overall I think it is cleaner. It feels more natural to me. I'm sure others won't agree and that is fine. This is a UI after all where differing opinions are a-dime-a-dozen.
- I'm not switching back to the old view as frequently.
- linking a Confluence page seems more intuitive to me.
- Personally, I like the migration away from the transition 'buttons'.
What I don't like:
- I haven't warmed up to how links behave in the new issue view quite yet but to be fare I haven't spent a whole lot of time there.
- Breakage - updates are rolling out nightly which can be great but often things break, example- breadcrumbs which fortunately was quickly resolved.
- I still find myself hunting for things at time but I ultimately find what I'm seeking so time will improve things.
- Editing of the worklog as I did in OIV is lacking in NIV
- Managing attachments isn't yet clean
- Voting - i think this is still missing?