We have set up our cloud Jira with the necessary plugin to enable creation of Themes and Initiatives. However, we need the ability to create epics within a theme and that does not appear to be an option at this time. How do I fix this?
Hello Lauren,
Welcome to Atlassian Community!
The way to map Epics under the custom issue type you created will depend on which plugin you have installed that provided the Theme/Initiative hierarchy levels.
If you used JIRA Portfolio, you can link Epics under Theme/Initiatives by performing the steps below:
1 - Click to create a new Epic
2 - While creating the Epic, click to edit the Parent link field and type the initiative the Epic should be linked to. P.S: The field can also be edited after the Epic creation.
If you are using a different plugin or these instructions have not make any sense to you, please provide us with the name of the plugin you are using and a screenshot displaying your Epic and Initiative create screen.
Hello,
Thank you for your response! I was told we have Jira Portfolio. Here are screen shots of the Theme we have in place. Then another screenshot where I am not able to create an epic and parent link it to the the them (it says it doesn't exist). There is no option to create an epic within this Theme either. So I created one from the regular "+" create button and tried to link it as you stated with the Parent link field but that doesn't' seem to work either. The only success I've had is to link epics that are already created and move them to this theme but that doesn't help us much if we want to create new epics under this Theme. It seems far too complicated for a very normal function in Jira so I'm not sure what the issue could be?
Thanks again for helping- it is much appreciated!
Thank you for your detailed response and the screenshots.
Indeed, this is a weird problem and the link between both hierarchy levels should not be that difficult. In fact, it seems that JIRA is not recognizing the Theme/Initiative as a higher hierarchy issue type than Epics.
Could you please confirm if the Theme and Initiative issue types were configured with the proper category as mentioned in the section "How to switch the hierarchy level view" of this documentation?
Basically, perform the two steps below to ensure the correct hierarchy of the issue types:
Let me know if this information helps.
HI Petter,
Thank you for your response. I'm not seeing where I would find my plan at in order to confirm Step 1?
Thanks for your help! Much appreciated.
Lauren
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.