Can we copy comments while cloning the Jira issue in cloud
Hi @[deleted]
I don't think so because the comment should be related to the issue. Even if you clone it, you may want to begin another story, sorry.
Otherwise, you can try to export to CSV file your issue and then import it. I am not fan of this method but it works sometimes.
Hope it helps !
Hello @[deleted]
Our app Elements Copy & Sync would let you copy comments (as well as any fields or attachments you want) when you cloning the issue. You can also chose if you want the copied issue to be synchronized with the original.
The Cloud version is not yet available on the Marketplace, but you can sign up to get updates about the release: https://copy-sync-cloud.elements-apps.com/
As a workaround, you can create a comment that has all of the comments from the triggering issue concatenated. In the automation, after cloning the issue, create a branch to update all created issues, then add a step to create a comment.
Use the smart-value: {{triggerIssue.comment.body}}
You can create an automation that is triggered on issue link > then look for {{destinationIssue.comments}} (this looks for the issue that yours is cloned from) > use an advanced branch to iterate over each comment and > then add the comments one-by-one to the cloned issue.
I used these articles to help me get here: https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-issues/
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-articles/Branching-over-smart-values-in-Jira-Automation/ba-p/1741935
The branching shown in this example collects the comments from the destination issue and then adds those comments to the destination issue.
How would you copy the comments from the source issue to the destination issue?
I believe the naming of that is counter-intuitive. It actually takes from the source issue and copies to the new, cloned, issue. It confused me as well, but it does what I want it to.
Ok, I must have something setup incorrectly then because it's currently not working to copy the comments from the source issue to the new cloned issue.
Hi @Patrick Seamars
thanx for your answer, works perfect when cloning an issue. One question, is it possible to genereate this comment with all the previous comments combined but then sorted by date descending? it defaults with an ascending order.
hope you (or someone else) can help me out! thanx in advance
I found that this is actually a better way to do it. The other way allows for each comment to be copied over individually (so separate comments), however, there is no guarantee that the comments will post is sequential order. If there's more than 1 comment, this can be confusing on the cloned issue.
Copying the comments over into a single comment allows the sequence to remain preserved (I ordered it using ".reverse" so it was in a descending order). The only note is that the comment field is limited to 32,767 characters, so beware if there are many novel sized comments being copied.
if it may help don't forget to change the perimeter of the rule in the rules details menu, by default the rule apply for one project only. Only admin can change this.
Hi @Gary Spross ,
I don't know why can't the cloned issue be linked, my automation is failed.
Please help me,thank you.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.