Feels like a classic case of not quite wanting either of two mutually exclusive alternatives...
- I want a custom field with a drop down of standard alternatives.
- I don't want to preclude the field from containing - or being set to - values other than those presently established in the drop down list.
- I want to be able to change the contents of the drop down list over time - to contain the values that are the most sensible possibilities (essentially a subset of the actual values that the field could take on).
I've seen a lot of discussion that seems to splash around this idea - but I'm still kind of perplexed as to whether it's possible.
The application is a set of release versions, but:
- The version set needs to be maintainable across MANY projects (shouldn't require per-project maintenance).
- Ideally, the drop down list would contain the small number of release versions of current interest - without precluding other settings (we have 20+ years of version history).
- Over time, we should be able to change the subset of versions present in the drop-down - even though existing issues may have values no longer present on the drop down list.
Under the covers - this feels like a simple text field or text value. Just don't have enough Jira knowledge to understand if it can be prettied up with convenient defaults.