Hello,
I am a Project Manager and am currently starting to define our customer-deliverable project intake and management process. I have used Microsoft Project in the past and am looking for a similar way to manage my projects in Jira and Portfolio, which I am new to.
Here are my requirements:
- Need to import a standard set of tasks, with sub-tasks and dependencies, into Jira for each new project that we receive (e.g. Customer A Project 1, Customer B Project 3, etc.)
- This set of tasks will look something like this:
Task #PredecessorTaskDurationResource
1 | | PO Received | 0 days | N/A |
2 | 1 | Internal Kick-Off | 2 days | N/A |
3 | 2 | External Kick-Off | 2 days | N/A |
4 | 3 | SOW Complete | 10 days | Project Manager |
5 | 3 | Receive Items & Bins from Customer for Testing | 10 days | Project Manager |
6 | 5 | Data Collection & Model Retraining | 15 days | Data Collection & ML |
7 | 3 | Hardware Received | 0 days | Deployment |
8 | 7 | Hardware Prep & Testing | 10 days | Deployment |
9 | 6,8 | FAT | TBD | Deployment |
- Would like to import with Placeholder resources per team, and then later assign actual team members based on availability/capacity
- Need to import tasks with a starting date (or set this date once in Jira) and have all dependent tasks update with date shift
- Need to be able to add tasks, dependencies, modify durations, manually update dates for tasks within a project
- Would like to view Work Breakdown Structure for a project easily, along with associated dates and resources
- Need to view all project schedules in 1 place at a task level, with resource assignments
- Need to be able to determine when a new project can fit in our schedule based on resource availability
- View our capacity by team and individual team member
I would imagine that a combination of Jira and Portfolio can satisfy these requirements, but I'm having a difficult time on the initial setup. Should each customer project be its own Jira project? Or a board within a single 'Deployments' project for each customer project, tagged somehow with the customer name?
Any assistance or direction would be very helpful. I have a strong feeling that Portfolio can accomplish what I am looking for and I would like to avoid an add-in tools, if possible.
Thanks!