New JIRA Agile admin/PO here. I am new to the company and have been tasked with setting up Jira Agile - Scrum to manage our projects. Prior to this the company was using a sort of anything goes approach.
We have over 450 bugs(!) in our system and new bugs are coming in regularly. I like using scrum boards for new feature development, but would like to move the bugs to a Kanban board. The main reason for this is that I'm seeing that new critical bugs are coming in and need to get fixed ASAP. Obviously, I cant have new work coming in and stopping the work the team has committed to finishing during a sprint.
Should I make a new project just for bugs in order to do this? I feel like it would really help with organization and visibility if I could separate all of these old bugs that have a separate maintenance team working on them into a separate project.
The separation would really help out with helping me keep my focus on the teams that are building out new features. As a former BA who was just recently moved to a new PO position, I still work writing requirements and developing new features.
I wish we could stop all new development to focus the whole team on fixing all the bugs, but unfortunately that cant happen due to various legally required new features that we have to add for our customers.