I am attempting to use an expand macro inside another expand macro and according to this page, it is supposed to work. Anyone have a solution?
https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/expand-macro-223222352.html
NOTE: I am attempting this on the new Confluence Blank page.
Hi Trevor,
The doc you referenced (Cloud version) is from 2017 -- it used to be possible to next expand macros.
I'm guessing that you have the new Confluence editor active on your site? If so, that's why you can't nest one expand macro inside another.
I'm not sure if that functionality will be brought back. Fingers crossed!
Hi @Trevor Edwards and @Sharon Helms ,
I'm a PM working on the new editor in Confluence Cloud. We're currently in the process of redesigning a new experience for the expand macro which will allow it to both nest and work seamlessly on any device.
We'll absolutely let you know once it's live!
Thanks,
Avinoam
Thanks, @Avinoam ! That's excellent news!
Thanks @Trevor Edwards , for bringing this up, this was the exact question I had as well. I use the expand macro function in all my documents (and then create nested expand boxes).
@Avinoam , thank you so much for clarifying that this functionality will return in the new editor.
I am also looking forward to this!
Same, we are using it heavily and now it is broken with the new UI. Is there an ETA when it will work again?
+1 to fixing expand on new Confluence Cloud. There are issues with:
Thank you @Trevor Edwards for posing the question.
@Avinoam ...I am also wondering, in the absence of being able to nest within a nest, is there an alternative or better way of doing what I am attempting to do.
I would like to show "years" then to be able to expand that and show "months" and be able to expand each day of the month to show accomplishments of that day.
As you can imagine, the will become quite lengthy if not able to nest them.
Thank you in advance.
Why would you remove the ability to nest within nests it was by the far the single most useful feature confluence offered. The new UI change should only have been released if it actually added value. It does not you have made it look pretty but taken back critical functionality that made confluence a manageable space to log detailed workflows and documentation. The nests within nests also made embedding documents seamless without having pages that were 100 pages long.
@Avinoam you promised last year this was being worked on yet instead more than 6 month later posted about table functionality that is clunky and doesn't solve the core problem.
You guys are building a product for Product owners how could you forget to identify the problem you are trying to solve when you released these tables? My concern is without this feature confluence will be largely redundant for anything other than minor workflows or analysis.
They said they are listening so everything should be fine :-)
The-new-editing-experience-we-re-listening
It looks like I can use an Include Page macro inside an Expand macro. If the included page has expands on it, the effect is the same as nested expands.
That won't work for all use cases, but it might for some.
Hellllo, can your designers bring the expland within and expand????? That was the main purpose of using Atlanssian..because it was easy to write and explain the documentation in very organized way...wth is that you have now...oh wait a new design and colors??? Never touch a functionality if your users are using it!
Dear Atlassian,The community is yelling for this feature.Is it not so complex, most of the components needed are exist, I guess it is just a priority matter then.Is it in the working plan? if so, what is the ETA?Please do not ignore us.2891 Views and still counting...
@Avinoam @Sharon Helms
@attlassian
reading those posts from 2019 onwards makes me a bit nervous. We've been storing a huge amount of content on the confluence server using several nested expand items. I checked out the Cloud version today and there's still no opportunity provisioned. For two years! Asking myself, why forcing your customers to use the cloud, when lacking major features.
I have no idea if anyone is still actively following this, but the functionality is still there on the cloud side, it's just not existent in the editor. If you build pages dynamically using the APIs or have post-processing done via API calls to generate the pages, you can nest your expands. Below is a sample API call. In the below example, replace the items in double square brackets [[]] with your own content. It still needs to be added to the editor itself, and this is far from a perfect approach, but it's the only option right now that I can see as feasible. If you attempt to use the cloud editor after using this method, you'll see the below error in sections you've used this work around.
{ "type":"page", "title":"[[$PageTitle]]", `"version":{ "number":[[$VersionNumber]] }, "space":{ "key":"[[$PageSpace]]" }, "body":{ "storage":{ "value":"<ac:structured-macro ac:name=\"expand\" ac:schema-version=\`"1\`" ><ac:rich-text-body><h1>First Nested Level</h1><ac:structured-macro ac:name=\"expand\" ac:schema-version=\"1\" ><ac:rich-text-body><h2>Second Nested Level</h2></ac:rich-text-body></ac:structured-macro></ac:rich-text-body></ac:structured-macro>", "representation":"storage" } }}
it seems that the absence of comments from Atlassian since 2019, it seems a safe assumption that nothing is going to happen.
I attempted to bring it back to the top.
When will nesting an expand into another expand be... (atlassian.com)
A Jira ticket requesting this feature has an update as of 06 Oct 2022! It's Unresolved and currently "Under Consideration", so it looks like they're working on it again.
(Fingers crossed)
Here is a workaround that I am using for lack of nested expand in confluence.
For each nested expand that I need, I have created different confluence pages with the default expand. Then, I used the "Include Page" macro to bring in all those pages with the expand. Now, when I open the parent page, I am able to see all those pages as a nested expand.
It definitely solves my purpose and the individual pages are easy to maintain as well.
Just thought of sharing this.
Great!!! Exactly what I needed. Thank you.
Nesting an expand in an Expand feature has been re-added! Expand away my friends
I'm between the bark and the tree with Notion and Confluence. I really prefer Confluence, but Notion's unlimited toggle-feature (nested expands) is one of its 2 major pulls on me.I love working with tables and merging cells and having other macros inside tables. And so it keeps bringing me back to Confluence. But those toggles/expands is such a BIG WANT for me. Works so well in Notion. @Confluence, bring it home please!
The other big Notion feature that sets it apart is that every element is independently movable and referancable. It is that referanceabililty that has us use tools like Confluence and Notion and Obsidian, rather than MS-word and PDF type docs. I want to create and update a piece of info in one single place and have it appear on other pages I reference it - Quicly and seemlessly. Confluence is halfway there with that. Still a way to go on it though.C'mon guys at Atlasian. Make it happen, please.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.