I've tried just about everything. But I'm unable to log into the confluence server via the rest api with my credentials. I'm using a user name:api token and encoded it to base 64 per the instructions you see here:
https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/confluence/basic-auth-for-rest-apis/
but i keep getting error 401
Basic Authentication Failure - Reason : com.atlassian.crowd.exception.FailedAuthenticationException: com.atlassian.crowd.exception.InvalidAuthenticationException: Invalid credentials</p><p>Description The request has not been applied because it lacks valid authentication credentials for the target resource.</p><hr class="line" /><h3>Apache Tomcat/7.0.91</h3></body></html>
What's worse is that when I go to the token management page the token says "never accessed".
I know atlassian can find my account (because if I put a typo in my email address i get an error saying the account couldn't be found). My base url is https://<domain>.atlassian.net/wiki where <domain> is the name of my company.
I'm simply trying to execute https://<domain>.atlassian.net/wiki/rest/api/content. When I manually log in and type in https://<domain>.atlassian.net/wiki/rest/api/content I successfully get the Json string i'm expecting.
Oh and I'm using the cloud version.