We have many problems with the new Editor. We can use old sites with the old Editor but not for the new Sites.
Its possible to switch from new to old Editor ?
Any news on this? I'm still lacking a whole bunch of features and macros, and the new keyboard shortcuts are a nightmare!
My workaround for this is to copy existing pages. It s an easy task if I only want to add a normal extra page.
If I want to create a new space which is using the old editor I do this.
It doesn't take that long so I still find it useful.
Based on a comment Avi left on ticket 65695, Support should be able to re-enable the old editor for you as a template. Should mean you no longer have to use the workaround and can select it when creating a new page:
Hi all, Thanks for all the feedback on this ticket. Given the amount of requests we've started to explore what a potential quick win may look like to re-introduce this. That being said, we still can't guarantee a time frame for this - we will make sure to update this ticket as we know more on our end.In the meantime, if you have the legacy template available - which most of you should have - you can keep using that to create new pages and still keep using this feature. If you don't have that template, you can reach out to support and we'll be happy to enable it for you.Thanks,Avinoam
Hi all,
Thanks for all the feedback on this ticket. Given the amount of requests we've started to explore what a potential quick win may look like to re-introduce this. That being said, we still can't guarantee a time frame for this - we will make sure to update this ticket as we know more on our end.
In the meantime, if you have the legacy template available - which most of you should have - you can keep using that to create new pages and still keep using this feature. If you don't have that template, you can reach out to support and we'll be happy to enable it for you.
Thanks,
Avinoam
Hi,
If you are speaking about collaborative editing in confluence.This can be turned off in admin section.
Note:When you turn off this feature, old stale drafts will be automatically deleted.
It has nothing to do with the collaborative editing. The "new editor experience" is just buggy as hell and in the cloud version there is no way back to the old editor.
So far, I have received no significant answers to this topic
Come on Atlassian!, at least let us go back until you solve the buggy new editor!Every plugin from the marketplace is down!!
Same here, new editor has vital features missing (e.g. can't link images).
There seems to be no way to import your custom css, div or span inside this new editor.
Hi, I do need to switch back to the old editor. The new one is not handling embedded PDFs correctly and this is a large part of what we do with Confluence.
Yeah ... Please enable a roll-back guys. Many power users do NOT want the new editor. It is severely limited.
While I appreciate Christian's answer, there is no answer on this page that should be considered accepted. Who marked that inappropriately? How do we get Atlassian's attention here?
The new editor just doesn't seem to allow you to anything you need to do. I'm in the middle of a migration to Confluence / Jira and creating some of the templates we need just isn't possible because this editor is garbage. Also if you go look through all the open issues, you'll find tons of editor / variable issues that are marked as LOW priority and MINOR severity.
I beg to differ with your product owner on this. Whom by the way, should be fired for letting this happen in the first place. If that person was my employee, they would be gone. What is your QA process like over there at Atlassian? You build tools for software developers, then you role out something like this for them to use? You're being mocked now.
I'm seeing issues related to these items open for almost a year with nothing going on. Them I'm seeing some like this that are marked as resolved that clearly are not resolved.
How in the world did your product become "Industry Standard" with development practices like this? Price? So is it the old saying " you get what you pay for?". You're the cheapest solution out there for this so what should we expect I guess, right?
The current version of the editor is not good for me at least. Can I please go back to the old one? There are many items missing. The number of colors is just 7?! really, how is that practical?
This is a very pathetic situation.
.... yeah, not impressed. I literally cannot publish. The pictures loaded into the docs won't size correctly and come out 10x larger when publishing, even though they look perfectly aligned in the editor. I cannot match my templates now because I only have a 7 color palette... seriously? Who thought that was a good idea? Kinda feels like you all took 1 step forward, then jumped all the way back to beta. Anyway... need a way to use the old editor. I guess our team will put Confluence tasks on hold while we wait for a fix... tick tick tick...
UPDATE: for anyone interested in a temp work around, we found that if you make a copy of an old page that uses the old editor, and then rename the copy and edit it with your new content, you can still use the old editor.
Can confirm. This work around is great!
The panel macros is also not available.. and i can't copy it over from an old template either.. this is preventing me from publishing
We urgently need the possibility to use the old editor. The new editor does not load propely, when we creat new pages. Everything is greyed out and nothnig is clickable except the "tutorial box"
Why is the an "accetped answer"?
This issue is not solved at all?
People, people, people! Atlassian isn't listening.
Atlassian has closed its Community post titled "What's New in Confluence Cloud – October 2019 Edition" (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-Cloud-articles/What-s-New-in-Confluence-Cloud-October-2019-Edition/ba-p/1199197)I suspect it has been closed because the response was overwhelmingly negative.
Many customers expressed dissatisfaction over the loss of key functionality used for fine control of content and output. Similar frustrations have been expressed in individual Jira issues including:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-65774https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-65317https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-65321https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-67825
Before closing the discussion, the Atlassian Team user posted "I understand that it may take some time to adjust to the deprecation of the DIV macro."
That's really helpful. Not.
Atlassian is removing key functionality, and it is simply ignoring or glossing over the many objections without providing any type of workaround (unless finding an alternative product is a legitimate workaround).
Where I work, we have been using Confluence for over five years and have assembled a huge repository of content that has been finely customised for output to PDF from within Confluence. The prospect of migrating the content to a replacement environment and beginning the process of reformatting it is wholly unwelcome.
Atlassian isn't listening because it has a strategy to simplify the editor, and we are saying things it doesn't want to hear. Sadly, we are also voicing our objections behind closed doors, so to speak.
I believe it is time to take our frustrations to social media.
Please consider posting your objections to Atlassian media platforms, including:
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/Atlassian/Twitter – https://twitter.com/Confluence
I have just tweeted a fairly tame objection to the most recent Confluence tweet, here: https://twitter.com/Confluence/status/1192043340184862721
Here's my tweet: "I wish I could be there to express my dissatisfaction about how essential functionality has been removed from the new version of Confluence Cloud editor—and how Atlassian is offering no workarounds for long-standing customers. It is unprofessional."
I have also submitted a comment to its November 05 Facebook post: "1. Teach people to listen, not talk."
Here's my comment: "I wish Atlassian's customers could teach Atlassian to listen rather than to talk. Key functionality has been removed from the new, dumbed-down Confluence Cloud editor—functionality that is fundamental to the operations of many loyal customers. It is functionality that has been present in the product for many years, yet Atlassian has provided no workarounds—insisting only that the diminished functionality is an improvement. Following overwhelmingly negative feedback, Atlassian is keen to shut down the discussion. The best it can offer is statements like "I understand that it may take some time to adjust to the deprecation of the DIV macro." - Atlassian Team - Wednesday November 06, 2019."
If many or all of us become more vocal in Atlassian's marketing space about our objections, it may take more notice. It is worth a try.
So on one hand, at least the post acknowledges that this is in fact a depreciation of services, but on the other, stating you "understand it will take some time to adjust to the depreciated product" and just leaving it at that, doesn't really cut it. It's not very customer-centric. As a client services manager, i'd rate that response very poorly; lacking any real substance on the topic at hand, and unsympathetic. While you say you understand, your message silently screams "We don't give a crap." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ just an observation. Where is the explanation for the decision? And why aren't current clients grandfathered into being able to use the agreed upon subscription content? We signed on for the provided products and services with the understanding that we were paying for all of its current functionality as a package deal. If you change the package by taking away functionality, where's my companies return?
I mean, if Atlassian wants to try and pitch this buggy, depreciated product to new customers, and new customers agree to the terms of use at that time, then by all means, sell away. But doing this to current customers is pretty much a slap in the face. We already agreed to pay for the services and functionality available when we signed up. Where is the document we signed that said we agreed to pay the same price for the downgraded offering?
it also forces tables full width too, and you can't resize them.... at all. there's no more "responsive" tables... it's pissing me off now.
I second the "product owner should be fired over this" comment.
There are about 60,000 people attending AWS reInvent this year.Atlassian is going to be there Tuesday Dec 3 at Lagsse Stadium in the Venetian.
As many people as possible should show up and tell them in person what we think of these editor problems.https://reinvent.awsevents.com/play/
This has helped me so much, please make this the accepted answer! And please Atlassian listen to customers ... choice is good!
No solution, the Jira case template to show a change log is terrible, The formatting is not workable and cant be copied with statuses over to the old template. So frustrating this new interface wasting time to find workarounds of basic features which have vanished.
People are going to leave Confluence in droves if they permanently switch to the new editor. It completely negates the reason why I create confluence pages.
Please keep the old editor at least as an option!
The new editor is a complete mess. Many of the useful features have been removed. Some Einsteins at Confluence must be thinking really hard as to how to make the tool more pathetic.
I too second that. The product owner is definitely not an earthling.
Yup. New editor is a major step backwards. I tried my best to use the new editor but time and time again I was confronted with some inability that forced me to waste hours. Often the thing I need to do is not possible any longer.
I also have been copying old pages so as to avoid wasting time trying to get the new editor to do simple things. Agree with others, the workaround is NOT an acceptable answer.
Does anyone know how to modify a template to use the old editor design? I thought I had one working that way before but it stopped and now seems to generate new-style pages. Signh...
Christian Hartmann THANK YOU SO MUCH for this! I was able to copy everything from a working Confluence space (configured before all of these recent editor so-called "improvements") and it worked like a charm.
Just checking, did you have an opportunity to speak with Atlassian at the conference?
I share the views on this page that the new editor is crippling.
My previous habit was to:
- Drag an attachment on to a page.
- In a second tab already editing the same page, hit Insert Link to make a hyperlink to the recently added file.
Now impossible due to no hyperlinks to files. Only cumbersome thumbnails.
Why destroy a good editor?
I feel gone back in Stone age.
Another point; why are all new chapter content widths being auto adjusted to a small width in the centre... no one needs such huge margins either side of the content..
additionally.. and rather annoyingly.. linking has become somewhat of a nightmare, the search works very poor and doesn't find chapters that weren't recently viewed when trying to quick link using ctrl+k
I did talk to them. It was really bad.They had zero sales staff at the conference. Instead they had a sub-contracted staff. There were also no product managers present.I finally got a product manager's e-mail address, and got them to write to me. They asked for my feedback and I made a list of all the things I didn't like and referred them to this post.
I haven't heard from them since. I was very disappointed with their lack of ability to show that they understood our concerns. I am not hopeful at this point.
Thank you for the insight here, Jason. This seems to be quite telling of their current operational focus.
Anyone know any PMs at atlassian? Anyone willing to reach out via LinkedIn and try to get some intel?
This is an invite to learn all about the new Confluence. There are going to be product managers on the call.https://www.atlassian.com/webinars/software/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-confluence-cloud?partnerref=email-webinar-comms1&utm_source=webinar-comms&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CCSAT_q3fy20_how_to_confluence_webinar_EML-6108&jobid=104483287&subid=1397272417
I propose we join the call and ask some very specific questions about how to do things in the new editor that were obvious and important in the old editor. The more people join, the more questions we will be able to ask in order to make our opinion about this known.
What if you don't have access to a page with the new editor?
This seems a lot more than a shift in Editor, since I can't structure the content in the same manner that I used to - nesting macros is something I did regularly, which is no longer supported. Almost every page I have authored over the last year as a panel or a nesting which is no longer supported.
I can't 'migrate' content. I have to RE AUTHOR EVERY. SINGLE. PAGE! It's one thing to add features and evolve the platform where there are clear customer benefits, but I am missing what those are! This has added no new features and functionality, but instead drastically REDUCED FUNCTIONALITY and ADDED WORK-LOAD to my already long list of jobs to be done.
I have been scratching my head wondering what Atlassian is using as a success measurement. The new editor adoption is no longer an adequate measurement because I was not provided an opt-in. Opt out is clearly desired - I would love to see Atlassian manage these changes with better communication to customers around what benefits / problems this editor solves.
Are product enhancements which are not desired, not backwards compatible and significantly disrupt business operations something that we get to look forward to for our other Atlassian products in the near future?! From a very loyal advocate... the lack of response here seems to be a good reason to start shopping for alternative vendors who are customer inspired.
I completely agree Steven.
This new editor is shockingly inept and I am extremely annoyed with Atlassian for pushing this obviously broken editor upon us.
Even simple tasks are severely broken, like tables, and simply copy/pasting from a page created with the old editor to the new editor... goodbye formatting and most macro functions!
Well, that's pretty severe. LOL
The real blame should be placed on the leaders who decided in the go/no-go decision to launch this inept editor. It would be more than just a single product leader that was involved in that stupid decision.
At the very least, Atlassian should issue a public apology for this gross lapse in judgement, return to the default old editor, and don't dare force a change on their paying customers until they can answer YES these three simple questions:
1. Is the new editor better in all respects?
2. Does the new editor solve a problem or problems?
3. Switching to the new editor will not cause customers any pain, with respect to compatibility issues with the old editor?
How about it, Atlassian?
Agreed. I don't know why they would remove so many features and macros. I was just getting the hang of confluence before this happened -_-
I found that if you import a word document and then you create a new page from the word document, that new page has a very different editor than if you created the page in Confluence.
This is painful and unfortunately all I can do is really laugh at this. So if you important a document and generate pages, those pages seem to be legacy pages.
It is a disaster indeed.
There is a lack of response everywhere. Virtually the only way to get acknowledged is to post a vapid praising comment like "Great!" on the "What's New in Confluence" posts, or to post something critical of the people responsible for creating this mess. The first way gets you a thumbs up from PM Jessica, the latter way will only serve to get you blocked.
Did you attend this? Feedback I heard was that any questions about whether they are going to fix the editor went largely ignored.
I value feedback -- even the kind that is hard to hear -- because it's an opportunity to evolve and improve. I am not here to get blocked but sincerely question how product decisions are being made... technical decisions have never been the most challenging dimension of my professional career, but rather change management and meeting customer needs. When technology becomes the hardest problem to solve, we have lost focus of the customer, which is the only reason the product exists in the first place.
As I double click into what's going on here, seems that technology decisions are driving with a greater weight than customer loyalty which was the driving factor to comment. Thanks for your insights Tom & Jessica, if you read this, I am happy to share more at any time.
Just some very basic things that miss in this new editor. I will update this list after I will remember the other things.
+1, also trying to make templates now is useless, as to start it off you can't get a full width template done at all.
This new editor is absolutely terrible! I've just tried to do two things that I was used to doing and thought was easy..but with no go:
1. On an existing (pre new editor) page I linked a heading using 'advanced link' to create a new page, published and then clicked on the link to go through and edit the new page...only nothing loaded. I had to manually create a page and then go back and link it up.
2. On my new page I uploaded a PDF and I'm trying to do a simple thing - link to it so it can be downloaded. So I highlighted the text portion I wanted to make into a download link for my attached PDF and, lo and behold, the link functionality in the new editor doesn't appear to have the ability to select any of the documents attached to the page
I'm now having to use the workaround everyone else is saying - duplicating old pre-new editor pages just to get back to an editor that actually has functionality worth a damn!
This is terrible Atlassian - we use Confluence as an intranet, into which we pop lots of documents that we may either link to for download, or display in-line. We use tables and lots of other functionality it was very easy to do employ with the old editor and now appear to be gone.
Contact Support, they can re-enable the old template. You don't have to use the new editor if you don't want to.
Hi everyone,
In case you faced the issue with nesting bodied macros included in the Table Filter and Charts app, please note we've resolved it on our side.
We've released a new macro - Table Toolbox. This macro allows you to combine multiple macros included in the app (Table Filter, Pivot Table, Table Transformer, Chart from Table) in the new Confluence editor.
I've been working at confluence for a few days.
But I immediately saw how lousy the new editor is.
I can't use blocks for texts, I can't add comments to version releases, I can't make custom panels, all instructions and training are based on the old editor.
A lot of bugs prevent me from working from the first days...
What a stupid decision?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.