Hello,
New Atlassian User just trying to get a grasp of things. I've been reading over https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/specifying-field-behavior-861253403.html to understand how to edit fields and field configurations better.
It specifically says under editing a field that I should have the option to make any field required or not, however in my Jira Fields view for "Resolution" I only see "edit, hide, screens". If I go into Edit, it just allows me to change the description.Am I missing something? Am I not on the right screen?
Thanks,
Okay, so lets see if this answers your question. Resolution is one of the default fields in Jira and is always a required field and has the value Unresolved until you set it to something else.
You cannot make it an optional field, there are built-in functionality in Jira that uses this field, so to make it "optional", do not add it to a screen besides the view one, and use post functions in your workflow to set it.
The way to make the resolution field optional is to not add it to a screen, you cannot set it to optional/required from the field configuration. I would recommend to instead of adding it to a screen, use post functions in the workflow to set the resolution.
To my understanding I thought all fields had to belong to a screen in order to show up? Is there a way to just add any field to something without applying it to a screen?Would this then need to be added manually every time a new item was created?
Yes, a field has to be on a screen if you want the user to add values to it. You could use a post function to set a field value and then just have it on the view screen without allowing the user to edit it.
Resolution is a bit different, if you add it to a edit screen, it will become a required field. In my environment I only show resolution on the view screen and set the values with a post function.
Alright that's good to know. Though I still don't think it answers my question, it's a good idea to have moving forward.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.