We have an email address set up to receive requests from others in the company, including non-JIRA users. JIRA then creates an issue for every email received. However, it is behaving differently than expected in two ways:
- No one (not even if the original requestor has a JIRA account associated with the email address) can edit the status of the ticket. Everything is stuck in the first panel of the Project Board. The current workaround is to clone the item and delete the original, but this is inefficient.

- If someone replies to that email, JIRA logs the item as a new ticket with an identical title instead of creating a comment.
Current config:
JIRA Settings -> Mail -> Incoming Mail
Mail Server: I have a Secure POP mail server (using Google Apps Gmail if that matters) set up and the connection seems set up correctly given that JIRA is able to create tickets from emails. In Gmail, POP is enabled and when messages are accessed with POP, Gmail is configured to keep the copy in the inbox.
Mail Handler: Handler is set to "Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue".

When I check everything in Permission Helper, it says that nothing is preventing any user from moving an issue.
What I've tried:
- Deleting and re-configuring both the POP Mail Server and Mail Handler
- Using IMAP instead of POP - this behaved even more strangely as it recreated all the issues every hour, so 12 hours later we had 12 of the same issue...
- Most of the forum posts seem to be for JIRA Service Desk but I'm not sure that is what I have.
Any help would be appreciated!