Background:
I am implementing JIRA in electronics company that has multiple teams working within one program, i.e. hardware, firmware, software. etc.
Hardware engineering itself is done by several sub-teams and usually goes through high-level 6 step workflow, let's call it "Engineering Design". Each step in the workflow is done by a different sub-team, i.e. RF engineering team, systems engineering team, mechanical, etc.
Say, there is a ticket to design a new PCB part. We have a number of days in which we would like this part to be designed. The estimate is comprised of time to create block diagram (workflow step 1, team A), component research (step 2, team
, schematic (workflow step 3, team C), etc
I know I can track how much time the issue was in a certain transition, so I can see how much time my drafting team (team C) spent on the schematic step of the design.
But is there a way to track an original estimate of the amount of time the issue would spend between transitions?
How would you approach this configuration?
PS. My original thought was to create sub-tasks instead of workflow steps... But then I learned that new device we work on will have more than 200 parts to be designed.. 200 parts * 6 subtasks = 1200 tickets to track alone just for hardware.