Hello. We are just starting to use Jira Software for a development project. We see the project key is created when the project is started. It also appears for each Story, Issue, Task, etc we make.
For example, we make a project called New Website with a key "WEB". All items we create in the project are incremented "WEB-1", "WEB-2", and so forth.
I understand from other discussions that these can only moderately be customized. What we want to do is have different IDs for each of our stories.
For example, we make a story "Build Database", and we would want an ID called "DB-1, DB-2, etc". Then another story would be called "WebUI" with IDs called "W-1, W2, etc".
Is this possible? I gather that we can create a custom field for the project. But even after doing so, we still see the project key in the item list.
I would greatly appreciate any other opinions or solution suggestions for this.