We're setting up a project that uses the CSV import-issue feature to create sets of tasks and subtasks for publishing-related projects. Since we follow the same steps each time, I'm creating a template in Excel to generate the CSV file.
To create sub-tasks, the CSV file is required to include "Issue ID" and "Parent ID" records, meaning that I have to choose the numbering for the tasks instead of letting Jira do it. I don't want to accidentally update existing issues, so I'm choosing a number far higher than our current issue count.
For catalog 133, the first Parent ID will be CAT-13300. That gives us 100 tasks/subtasks to assign (which should easily be enough for the way we're using Jira here) before we start catalog 134 (CAT-13400).
But after some successful testing of the CSV task import, I noticed that tasks added after the import follow the numbering of the import. Previously we were at (let's say) issue CAT-700. After the CSV import of a few test tasks (CAT-13300 to CAT-13310), new tasks are at that jump-forward number--CAT-13311, CAT-13312, CAT-13313--instead of continuing at CAT-701, CAT-702.
I'm concerned that, if this is how the numbering goes, that catalog tasks and other tasks might use up that 100-task buffer between catalogs 133 and 134. I hadn't expected Jira would jump from issue CAT-700 to CAT-13311.
- Is this what y'all see after using CSV imports to create new tasks?
- Is there a way to force Jira to continue numbering at CAT-701 instead of at the highest existing number?
- For those using CSV imports to create new tasks, are there other strategies you use around numbering?
Thanks!