Hi,
This is a question about bulk updating / deleting test steps held within tests in Jira / Zephyr.
Background:
We created approx 700 placeholder test scripts with basic high level steps at the start of the project within Excel, which were then loaded into Jira with the zfj import tool. Each test was then linked to its associated story / requirement and placed into one or more cycles with associated spreadsheets / charts and whatnot for the project plan to be based around.
Problem:
The project has progressed and as stories are refined it was asked that the test steps are expanded. We used Excel for this again and a typical example is a placeholder of 10 steps has now evolved to a test script of 50 steps.
With the new scripts held in Excel we need to load them in to Jira. As we had already linked the placeholders to cycles / stories etc in Jira (and had various charts / planning spreadsheets outside of Jira) we could not simply bulk delete and re-import the tests as this would be too time consuming and unravel previous work.
The importer tool was used to add the new steps in to the existing steps - in my example this means a 10 step test is now a 60 step test.
We hit a snag with the zfj importer and somehow it has done the import twice, so in my example I now have 110 steps, 60 of which are obsolete! This has applied to the ~700 tests in a similar way.
What is needed:
I need to find a way to bulk update or delete test steps from an individual test case. I have tried to delete steps manually, but using the cloud version to do this is very clunky and time consuming. It simply takes too long.
Is there a way to do any of the following:
1) Bulk delete steps 1-10 and 61-110 (from my example), leaving the valid 50 steps
2) Bulk delete ALL steps from a list of (or single) test (I can then re-import)
I considered using the import tool to add the new scripts in as brand new tests, then update the old test to have a step 'pointing' at the new test ID.. but this would still need bulk deletion of the existing steps.
Google search suggests this type of thing has been asked for multiple times over the years and doesn't exist - but I figured i'd ask the question in case things had changed.
I hope the above made sense! Thanks!