I have a number list:
1. a
2. b
3. c
When I introduce a panel by hitting shift-enter and selecting a panel macro the list breaks:
PANEL
1. b
2. c
How can I use a panel without the list breaking and starting a new numbering?
Everybody, to fix this.
Go to this issue and upvote: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-67862
Also, upvote this comment so it gets more attention.
Hi
I am a little bit confused. I tried this exactly how you described and get this:
Another test showed another workaround, perhaps this is helpful for you:
Let me know, if this workaround helped you.
Hi @Dave McDonough - welcome to this wonderful community!
I tried to reproduce your problem but it worked fine.
How did you create your list?
What my also help would be put the panel macro right in the text (after your 'a') is automatically moved to the next line because of the wide.
@Dominic Lagger seems like we had look on this at the same time good that we got a similar solution
Hi guys, thanks for the answers. I should add I'm using the new editor. Dominic, using the method you suggested I got the following below. Are there any ways to mitigate this using the new page editor? Thanks
Hi @Dave McDonough - did you try to add the panel at the end of the text of 1.a ?
No joy - I tried the the options described, above, with the backspace to 'stop' the numbering. Doing that just deleted the added line and took me back up to the end of "1." Using the cloud version, if that's relevant. I just want to add info blocks within numbered lists.
Honestly can't believe this is an issue as it's something that should be supported. What's the point of providing the ability to insert an info block in your documentation if you can't do it within a numbered list?? 100% of the time, my numbering restarts. Please fix this...
Agreed. Numbered lists break too easily and there is no way to tell the next (incorrectly) numbered line to restart on the correct number.
This is really upsetting. My issue is similar but instead of breaking the list, now it's refusing to break the list and forcing the panel to appear after the numbered list no matter where I try to insert the panel. Nevertheless, you shouldn't have to enter a Street Figher or Contra cheat code in order to use the panels/macros properly.
I have this issue as well. Having info panels inside an ordered list seems pretty reasonable to me. I'm sure this used to work OK in previous versions of Confluence.
Same thing here, impossible to add the info panel, it goes to the end of the list regardless...
And if you add a code snippet to one of the numbered items, it always goes to the bottom, it does not break the section, but it always goes to the bottom...
I am also finding that the Note panel breaks the numbering. I use this extensively and find the breaking of the lists a concern. Is there a workaround?
I am also having this issue and really can't believe it hasn't been fixed yet.
Me as well. This is a fundamental feature for any documentation/wiki-related tool. Confluence can't live without this for another month! Let's get this into an active Sprint @ Atlassian product peeps.
Yup. I'm experiencing the exact same problem, which is making documentation quite frustrating since you have to either try to manually number everything yourself, or alternatively avoid using the extremely useful info/warning/error/note panel. @Fabienne Gerhard Do you know if there is any particular reason why Atlassian seems to be ignoring this particular issue?
@Marcelo Teixeira de Melo I can use Shift+Enter to add a code block below a numbered list, as it will consider this part of the same paragraph.New objects though, like an info panel, seem to break the numbering no matter what I do. I can't believe this is still an issue 2 years later...
5. Continue on with the list and add new numbered items, i.e.
1. First item
<IMAGE> / <INFO PANEL>
2. Second Item
3. Third Item....
This doesn't work, still, 2 years later
Also want to learn how to fix this without some complicated workaround. Shouldn't it just work like the older editor? Can someone open a ticket to get this fixed?
There's one here that you can watch and vote for: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-67862
Awesome. Thanks!
The workaround with a table is crappy too.
In short, it's nothing but bullshit.And I'm not talking about the trick of doing it in Google Doc and then copy/paste...
I am having this issue also. The only thing I can do is put the panel at the end of the numbered items, but then it's out of place and not relevant to the last item. Please fix this issue and allow panels to break numbered lists.
According to a status update on that Issue, they've got a fix for this on the roadmap, but they're focusing on a few other features first.
Hi everyone,
I'm a Product Manager on the Confluence Content Experience team. Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. I recognize this isn't a great experience and want to apologize that we haven't pushed out a fix yet. We know this is a highly requested feature.
We have been exploring a few solutions, but have not had the bandwidth to roadmap it yet. We will pick this up as soon as possible and will keep you updated.
In the meantime, I've attached a screenshot of a potential work around using tables with numbered columns. This workaround allows you to put any amount of content that you prefer inside a single cell, and then, jump to the next one that would be the next in the numbering list order.
Additionally, images can be added to a numbered lists directly. Inline images can be inserted as emojis.
Thanks for your patience!
Hopefully this is addressed soon - formatting is nice to have for support documentation to keep things looking the same but having to use screenshots or tables for specific how-to pages isn't a great experience. Fingers crossed!
Just here for the ratio. Its been three years since the OP and still no movement on this issue?
Make that 3***** years later
Its solved by using " Shift + Enter " , thank you for this suggestion
This needs to be higher up in the chain of replies.
Thank you for this.
Edit: works for pictures not for panels.
.
Fix this please!!
Came here looking for a solution too and none of the suggested workarounds worked.
However, I found my own workaround. It worked for me in the Cloud version with the new editor.
For those who come after me:
I was able to do it using source code editor. That really saved my docs as I need a lot of info/note/warning panels in my instructional docs.
Steps:
1. Install source code editor app to your confluence if you don't have one. (We're using Source Editor for Confluence but I would assume any one of them would work.)
2. Write your docs as is, with the info panel at the bottom of the list. Publish.
3. Open a published page in the source code editor.
4. Cut the code for panel macro from where it currently is.
5. Paste it in the list item you need it to be, inside the <li> </li> tag, on a new line after your text.
6. Preview to make sure it's in the right place.
7. Save.
8. You have your panel where it belongs.
Downside: you cannot subsequently edit this panel in the native editor (see screenshot below). Which I personally don't care about. I'll just edit it in the source editor if I have to, and be happy with the look of my pages.
This is the only thing that actually works (with the limitation of not being able to edit in the page afterwards.) Rest of the suggestions are either too complicated or defeat the purpose of having numbered list, in the first place.
Make that 4***** years later
Hi all.
I didn't see any information about a fix for this feature, but I did note that with a few manipulations I can get now the result (list with unbroken numbering) I've been waiting for so long (at least for the Info Panel, the only I tried).
If you need to insert an item just before a panel, select the panel (as mention above), then press enter; or insert the new item before the following item, not after the previous one. It seams it's not like a not breaking numbered list, but like many lists with restarting the numbering with offset. May be it's not a real fix, but a non-voluntary operation or bug that allows the workaround
This method works!
Good find. I'm also interested to try this on images.
Terrible work around but this works for me.
Create number list
Hit Shift / Enter at the end of the number line
Insert panel and add text
Take a screenshot of the panel
Delete the panel you insert
Past the screenshot
Continue with your numbered list
Just use Shift+Enter
Shift enter only works if you are inserting the panel into a document without indented formatting such as the use of bullet points or numbers and letters. No matter what level of the indented format you are in (e.g.: closed bullet, open, square) it puts the info panel after the last item in the formatted list and returns the format to the first level of indenture.In the picture provided I am trying to place the info panel between the 2 sub bullets and point to where it went instead and how it reset the sub bullets to bullets.
It won't work between sub bullets or sub lists. You can make it work one level up, but that's it.
I was trying to do that technique with a Bullet List being used and it wouldn't work for me like it did for you with Numbered List. I was using the right click method for copy and pasting. I know this sounds odd, but maybe the control key method works different in this environment or, and this is probably more likely, the Bullet List behaves differently.
It's pretty reliable if you make the pasted location plain text (i.e., no numbering or bullets) before you paste the item.
Afterward, apply the number or bullet style to the paragraph when you continue adding text.
Using a numbered table, does not allow a table to be inserted inside the table (in Cloud). Some times, a step requires a table in it....
i think it needs to apply to images, panels, tables anything like that.
And I like mine to go:
1. Step
[Image/table/panel]
Where the item is lined up with the text, and not the number.
Is this on the roadmap to be fixed yet?
I initially decided to use numbered tables to help with this, however, you cannot include a table within a table (in Cloud) or an excerpt within a table, or the visibility add on within a table, and I am sure there are other things.
Sometimes within a step, I may need a table, or a panel, or an excerpt, or to hide some text, so the reality is, you need to do the steps outside of the table, and use the numbered lists.
Along with that though, I like mine to go:
[Image/table/panel/excerpt]
Where the item is lined up with the text, and not the number (like below)
[item]
If we can get some traction on this, I imagine you would please a huge number of Technical Writers and Content Creators who love Confluence, but get frustrated with some of the formatting issues.
Settle down, it's only been 4.5 years since it was first raised as an issue. Give them time!
😂
Thanks for pulling me into line @Nick Minchin
That is such a short period of time given how long the universe has been around for...I definitely need to get my head on straight and relax,
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.