I am running epics in a next-gen kanban project. Once all the stories associated with an epic i would like to remove the epic from the board? Is there a way to do this?
Hi Casey,
Thank you for getting in touch with Atlassian Community!This is currently on our roadmap and soon you will be able to hide a Done Epic.You can find the details here.
Regards,Angélica
@[deleted], unless it has recently change Epics are not removed when done but again that may have changed as I know they are rolling out updates pretty frequently. Other issues, e.g. Stories, Tasks, etc will be dropped after being done for 14d. So it will be interesting to see if Epics follow suit.
Thanks Angelica, I clicked the link but not sure where to find updates. I'm having the same problem, I'm done a few epic, have marked them as complete and resolution status is resolved however, it still shows up on my board.
Has Jira already updated next-gen so the epics would disappear in 14 days? If not, where can I view update status?
Hi Maryam,
The update is on "Filtering improvements".
Filtering improvementsSome improvements to filtering on the Board and Backlog to help you quickly find your work. Filter lists will be sorted alphabeticallyA search bar will be included when there are more than 10 items in the listAn issue type filter will be added by defaultEpics marked as Done will no longer show in the epics filter listIt's possible to share a filtered view with others by copying the URL
Filtering improvementsSome improvements to filtering on the Board and Backlog to help you quickly find your work.
Filter lists will be sorted alphabeticallyA search bar will be included when there are more than 10 items in the listAn issue type filter will be added by defaultEpics marked as Done will no longer show in the epics filter listIt's possible to share a filtered view with others by copying the URL
In this case, it will not disappear from the board, but you can add the filter to do not show the Epic.
Hi Angélica,Is there any update on this? It's a frustration in our team's workflows that when we try to use epics, we are constantly avoiding the "done" ones manually with new filters, and when we try to add a story into an epic, we have to select from a long drop-down that includes the completed ones. Is there any workaround for this?
Thanks!Adam
Hi Adam,
We still don’t have updates about board filters for Epics.
We have some feature requests suggesting the implementation of this ability:
Please, click on vote and watch to receive updates and feel free to add a comment on the features for our dev team to check.
@Angélica Luz any updates on this?
Hello @Roman Balakin,
For the features that I shared on my previous response, only the Roadmap Epic filter in next-gen projects had an update. Please, check the comments for more details.
Is there any specific feature that you need an update?
Please, make sure to watch and vote for the feature to receive notifications.
Any luck getting this really basic and necessary feature shipped yet?
Any updates here? It has been a long time since this request was on a roadmap. No movement. Please provide a date for having this available.
Hope you are not using the Jira next-gen project to track this particular request, because you may be unable to distinguish between epics that are closed and those epics that are open.
Hi Thomas,
I know you did in an earlier response above that a solution for removing the epic when done was released. Specifically these release notes conveyed this update - Next-gen-release-notes-for-Jira-Software-Cloud
Here is the excerpt from that article that was pertinent
If that is not specifically what you were referring to I might suggest opening a new question for the community.
Cheers!
I still see Epics marked as Done in the epics filter list, unless I mark it as done from the Epics filter list. If I close it with resolution Done it still shows up in the Epics list
I'm having the same issue - even after waiting 14 days.
Hello,I'm still looking for an answer about this feature...I understood that the epics could be filtered in the roadmap, but what about the backlog without removing sprints functionality? Has this been fixed? If yes, what is the solution please?
Just another example of the borked implementation of Next Gen projects. It is so frustrating trying to hack your way around what should be basic functionality. Quite how Atlassian have maintained their market dominance given the gaping holes in Jira that go for years without being addressed.
Hi @Andy Gritton (and all),
This is a rather old post and TMP (PKA next-gen) projects have evolved greatly. I thought I would update this post with the latest behavior as indeed you can't hide done epics in the Roadmap view quite easily in TMP now.
Below is an image that illustrates how this is done. Basically you click on the little slider/filter icon in the upper right in the configuration pop up you can now select hide completed epics. I hope this helps future members searching for answers.
oh, and before I forget...
The Epic will disappear from the drop down list on the Board view once the last child story/task is gone from the board. If memory serves Done issues disappear after 14d.
But it still appears in the Epic panel in the Backlog view FOREVER... or so it appears!! I'd sussed out how to hide completed Epics on ROADMAP no bother but when we are planning work in the Backlog we don't want to see old completed Epics in the left hand panel. My original comment still stands, would be great if you have a solution to that.
Hi Andy,
first I want to clarify that I do not work for Atlassian. I am just a user like yourself. Therefore, I cannot speak for Atlassian here.
With that said, where exactly is your epic showing in the backlog? I checked a test project that I have and old done epics are not displayed anywhere that I could see. Maybe you could share a screenshot? I'll certainly try to help you as much as I can here.
I had a similar question to hide completed epic story from my Epic panel of Backlog.
Finally I found a way as below:
Works like a charm. Thanks Apua!
thanks for posting this!
This has been a problem for a while and as part of our advanced kanban boards functionality, you can finally see Epic cards in next-gen/team-managed projects. It allows teams to visualize big items, manage their flow and ultimately scale your value delivery system.
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1228332/quantify-kanban-pro
In my opinion, the problem with this is that you must treat Epics like other work items on a Kanban board with the ability to move it to "done" as usual. This is a workaround for a deeper problem. Check my other comment to see how we solved this https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/When-an-epic-is-complete-on-a-Next-Gen-project-how-do-you-remove/qaq-p/1021371#M269182
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.