Hello,
We are looking at moving from Asana to Jira for our project and task management. We will have 3 - 4 departments that could use Jira although the main reason for switching would be for our Engineering team to have additional clarity in the actual projects or tasks. Equally important is better reporting to see the work that is being done, tasks and bugs coming in, and better visibility for the entire organization of what’s being worked on, what’s been completed, and what’s on the roadmap.
I think I’d like to keep the engineering team tasks and “projects” in a single Jira project and separate by versions and components although I’m not sure that is the best solution. The engineering team could be broken into two teams, one for new products and features and another into implementations and app extensions although they are both cross-functional and team members do work in both areas.
The second thing I’m having a hard time in determining is how best to have our on-boarding team (separate from the engineering team) manage in Jira. Right now, a new project is created in Asana for each new customer with the list of assigned tasks to get them on-boarded. I don’t know if that is the best solution to have a new "Jira Project" created for each customer or separate those differently. There can be and usually are engineering tasks that would get assigned from the On-Boarding project as well. I want to make sure those get tracked as part of the work the engineering team is completing but not sure of the best way to move those between departments or projects and still keep clarity and ease of reporting intact.
I’d love any insight into some ideas on how I might accomplish this in Jira.