In tracking our projects, we have a frequent need to assign tasks to people outside our company. If we make all of them "users" we will face enormous costs, prohibitively so.
For this reason, we would like to be able to create "users" that are not real users. I.e. they are identities without the ability to log in. These identities should be able to be created as easily as we create projects, tasks, epics, etc. And should also cost zero, since they do not represent "JIRA users." Indeed, they CANNOT log into JIRA, so we should not be charged for their existence.
Our fallback position is to prefix the task with the name of the outside resource, in all caps. The task is then "assigned" to the project manager, but this is a crap solution to a serious real-world use case.
I know this is a community forum, but I am hopeful that an Atlassian forum visitor will see and respond. There does not seem to be a way to directly contact Atlassian with suggestions such as this.
Any assistance getting a spotlight on this issue is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!