Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How and how much are you using the page properties macro?

Dimitri Rupp May 11, 2021

Kia ora!

I would like to hear about how you are using the page properties macro in Confluence. Which information fields are you using and how much are you using it.

Also, are you using the PTC Page Tree Creator app and/or the Table Filter app as well?

What kind of experiences have you got in the enterprise environment with these macros and apps?

Looking forward to hearing your stories :)

Dimitri

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Pronto Software May 11, 2021

G’day @Dimitri Rupp 

Server instance here, using page properties macro and Page Tree Creator add-on quite extensively. The nature of content in many spaces, being client engagement and project documentation, lends itself to templates and the use of these two tools. No table filter add-on, but ContiForms is used and provides filtering and other table based operations.

Current worry story; with the need to migrate to Atlassian Cloud I'm deep-diving into the differences between Server and Cloud for these and other add-ons, looks like a lot of manual work to migrate content… at this stage, perhaps a magic bullet is somewhere in a dev pipeline. Given the cloud framework for add-on apps is totally different to server, there’s no direct migration for some of them, it’s difficult to foresee a magic bullet one-click migration tool. This will be the most labour intensive part of our cloud migration.

As for day-to-day stuff, we’ve built reasonably complex form based solutions with Page Tree Creator. Automatically generating client project documentation from an input form. The content has dozens of pages laid out to conform to the firm’s PM methodology. Each parent has multiple child pages, some integrate outside Confluence to grab CRM and financial info for the engagement, others grab stuff from Jira around dev work. Some child pages contain a PTC button or two that fires up a form to gather user input and generate additional layers of child pages. Page Tree Creator skills have been passed on to non-tech consultants who manage their own templates, which speaks to the usability of the add-on.

Cheers,

Pete Quick

Dimitri Rupp May 18, 2021

Hi Pete

Thanks for your answer. 
I've been recently in contact with EPS about the Page Tree Creator and showed them the differences in the two versions currently. The process of use in the cloud is a bit different, but it's working well. Still, there are a few things they need to work on, and they do.

The migration from server/dc to the cloud need to be done very carefully. Most important is a really proper assessment. Without this, it will not succeed. This needs also time and a very precise work structure. Don't forget the expectation management for the customer :)
There are some Cloud Migration Assistants available, except for JSM. As you mentioned correctly, there are currently sometimes big differences in the feature sets of the apps. Again, a proper assessment is needed.

I have good faith in Atlassian, and I am sure, things are improving every day as they are working intensively on so many things.

There is plenty of material available in the Atlassian Partner Portal for the cloud migration, including run book and guides. Have you seen it already?

Wish you good success with the migration. Let us know how it went.

Take care,

Dimitri

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events