Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome Wednesday: Do you like to change things up?

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2022

Happy Wednesday Everyone!

Even when I was very young, I have always enjoyed changing things up.  I would regularly rearrange the furniture in my room to get me a different perspective when I was going to sleep, and of course at times to give me more room for activities!

I have always enjoyed these changes as it makes things feel different in a controlled way.  I have done so again with my office as we switched internet providers (that's an entire story all to itself for another day).

I'm still trying to figure out where everything needs to go in this new setup, but overall I'm pretty pleased with it.

Obviously, my question for you this week is:  Do you enjoy changing things up? Or would you rather keep things exactly as they are until the end of time?

I'd love to hear all of your thoughts in the comments below!

I hope you all continue to have a wonderful week, and I'll see you all next time!

6 comments

Comment

Maureen Carroll October 19, 2022

When I was a kid my mom would change the living room (we called it the Parlor) furniture around every 6 months or so. Felt like a different room. I find myself doing this as an adult. Or even something less significant like changing the curtains each season. 

And, side note, my dad's fav actor is John Wayne! This post gave me a chance this morning to think about both my Mom and Dad :)  

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2022

That's awesome!  Also I love the idea of changing the curtains with the seasons.  I may have to think about that one myself.

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 19, 2022

As the saying goes, opposites attract. My wife is constantly changing around furniture configurations in our home, the flowers in the garden and is in a near constant state of updating/fixing/adjusting. I prefer smaller changes that occur at loner intervals. It may take my wife three months to completely change the layout of our living room, but it will take closer to three years for me to make any significant changes in my home office. I guess I am just a creature of habit.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2022

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  I know many people who prefer things to stay exactly the way they are for as long as possible.

Johanna Pichotka_APTIS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 19, 2022

Love changing things up. 

I feel like I get bored if things stay the same for a long time. Being creative and trying something different is always exciting. I'll change my room every couple of years since I've been a small kid. And our living room and kitchen will get some new furniture every now and then. But always in moments when something is too old and doesn't look that good anymore and doesn't fit at all to us anymore. 

Because for me it's like change is always going to happen so why not embrace it and just go with it? 

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2022

Exactly!  Great callout Johanna.  I think getting bored of the same thing is exactly my motivation for switching things up as well.

Like Johanna Pichotka_APTIS_ likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 19, 2022

I definitely enjoy changing things up. Eating new foods, visiting different cultures, trying things a new way, etc. I tend to like places that have seasons because that sort of means change throughout the year by default. But most locations have some type of season to them, even if they don't change too much. 

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2022

Out of the box thinking.  I hadn't considered that when I made this post.  Now I will say thing much, in the part of the world I live I wish between summer and winter there was a more gradual change between the two seasons.  In the same day I have seen the temperature at -1/30 degrees in the morning and 21/70 degrees in the afternoon and that is a bit too much change for my body to handle.

Bunny
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 22, 2023

Hi, I am enjoying and excited to change things up. I love to explore new food items so one day I found the best food court expert.

Mark Holmes (Adaptavist) October 19, 2022

It depends on the purpose of the thing. If something is effective for the desired function, I don't mind keeping it the same. For example, I love my favorite ramen spot. I'm not interested in trying another as long as the experience stays the same. But if a process presents difficulties, I want to experiment and make small changes constantly, provided feedback suggests the change is desired and useful.

That said, I value continuous improvement. I do get bored doing the same thing over and over the same way. I am constantly wondering and looking for ways to improve things. But this can be hard on folks trying to learn and deliver, who are looking for some consistency. So in that case, I try to consider my audience and change at a rate that is balanced to their pace.

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2022

Great point Mark!  When it comes to process and I'll stretch that concept a little bit to driving I'm always looking to see if I can find a more efficient route.  As an example before the pandemic I worked at a different company where I had to commute to the office each day (I work remotely from home now).  I was able to change my driving route little by little for efficiencies I saw that what in the beginning took about 37 minutes to travel was taking me 29 in the morning and I felt pretty good about being able to optimize that.

Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2022

Great topic @Jimmy Seddon! I love changing things up! I just rearranged things in my office the other day. I collect funko pops and I also like to change those out. I keep most of them in their boxes and protectors, but I take some out and display them on my shelves. I switch out the ones I display quite often. 

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2022

Ohh I love funko pop characters.  I don't have a large number of them myself, but the ones I do have I think speak to my personality.

Mark Holmes (Adaptavist) October 21, 2022

I am Groot!

PXL_20221021_154051577_2.jpg

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events