Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throwback Thursday: childhood Saturday night memories #TBT

It's Thursday!
giphy
I lived in the same house until I was 11 years old, then we moved. I remember that in this first house, the TV was in a kind of a family room in the basement. In Iceland, we only had a single TV station at that time. On Saturday nights, they would show a movie. It was a family activity to watch the movie together, at least the younger kids. My dad would buy salted peanuts and put them in a bowl along with raising and milk chocolate bar broken up into squares. That was kind of the highlight of the week :)  
zztv.jpg
Soooo, what are some of your childhood Saturday night memories?
Let’s make it a great Thursday!
KGM
P.s. sorry for this creepy AI generated picture...

11 comments

Comment

Rune Rasmussen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2024

We didn't have any specific Saturday things, but on Friday there was "Disney Sjov" (Directly translated to Disney Fun, but is a play on word because the Danish "Sjov" sounds sort of like "Show").

My dad would take my sister and I to the local gas station, and we would each get a back of "Fredagsslik" (Friday candy).

Then 19:00 rolled around, and my sister and I were firmly glued to the TV with our own little bag of candy.

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2024

Our parents used to go out Saturday night - dinner, movies, getting together with friends, etc. Me and my two brothers would always have a babysitter (until my older brother was 11 years old), usually our next door neighbor, and she would always make sure we had some fun. The popcorn popper would come out, hot chocolates would be made, and we'd find some games to play - Monopoly, Life, Trivial Pursuit, and assorted card games were our fare. The time would fly by and I am sure we were having more fun than the boring adults!

Like # people like this
Shreeja J
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2024

Wow, that brings back memories! Growing up, Saturday nights were also special in my house. We'd gather in the living room, and my mom would make popcorn while we'd get cozy with blankets. We didn’t have too many channels either, so we’d usually pick a movie or a show that everyone liked. Sometimes, my siblings and I would build pillow forts and stay up late imagining we were on some adventure. It’s crazy how the simplest things—like a bowl of snacks and hanging out with family—could make those Saturday nights feel so magical✨!

Like # people like this
Vittoria Oliva October 10, 2024

Our parents used to organize a home cinema using a projector , we're 4 person, each Saturday one of us chosen a type of film. No romantic one, they are bored! 😊

We try to do it again, it's very difficult. 

Like # people like this
bzoern October 10, 2024

Good Morning Everyone!!! 

Not sure if this was a Saturday thing, but a weekend thing for sure. Back in the day , Because there were so many of us in the house taking baths was broken down by age and day of the week. The older kids bathed during the week and us younger kids were on Saturdays. Then it was a bowl of popcorn or ice cream, then on one of the 4 channels we got on our tv it was Watching variety shows. The Lawrence Welk show, Sonny & Cher, Hee-Haw, Donny & Marie Osmond Show to name a few. After church on Sunday and spending the day outside playing it was dinner and tuning in to the Wonderful World Of Disney. Simple times, simple pleasures. I do miss those days from to time as my parents are gone now, and my siblings and I all have our own families and we are scattered around the country. We do talk often and see each other when ever possible. Can't wait to share this memory with them this coming weekend!! ")

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2024

When I was a youngster, Saturday night meant getting a bath before bed to be ready for church on Sunday. I was not a fan of Saturday bath night!

Like # people like this
Chris Chappelear _Tempo_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 10, 2024

On Saturday nights growing up, my brother and I would stay up late to watch late night Television. The USA network had 2 shows that started at 10 pm - Weird Science (the series) and Duckman. We'd then watch MADTV for the first half hour and then switch to Saturday Night Live - all shows we weren't really 'allowed' to watch but mom and dad were usually asleep by then. :)

Like # people like this
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2024

In the 70s, our Saturday nights consisted of playing Yahtzee as a family—all 8 of us learning how to add, multiply, and help the younger ones. This was followed by watching the Mary Tyler Moore Show, the Bob Newhart Show, and the Carol Burnett Show. 

Like # people like this
Laurie Sciutti
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2024

I don't specifically remember Saturday nights being special but Saturday mornings were for cartoons on TV with a bowl of yummy cereal!  Boy do I miss those stress-free days!  :)

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2024

My mom and dad were very close with my aunt and uncle. Most Saturdays meant pizza (Pizza Hut "Bigfoot" usually) and Saturday Night Live for the grownups, playing and movies for the kids. 

Pizza Hut Bigfoot Pizza - The Retroist

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 11, 2024

Thanks for your fun memories!

TBT Happy Friday yall.jpg

Like Barbara Szczesniak likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events