Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throwback Thursday: Your favorite candy from when you were young #TBT

It's Thursday!
giphy
We've done one similar to this one (favorite snacks) but today I want to reminisce about candy :) When I was about 13 until 17, there were 7 candy shops (think they are called Newsagents in England) within walking distance from my home! And I love candy. I still remember stopping in a candy shop as I walked home from friends house late at night. Purchasing Lion Bar or ToffeeCrisp. I also really loved Maltesers and Galaxy Minstrels.
giphy
So, what about you - what was your favorite candy when you were younger?
Let’s make it a great Thursday!
KGM

48 comments

Comment

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2022

Pretty much anything with chocolate. But especially Tootsie Rolls and Baby Ruth bars when I was younger. 

TootsieRollInBowl_Lead.jpg

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2022

Bit of Honey ... and still is ;-)

0592CC5F-059B-4CBC-A073-B479F5C248F4.jpeg

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2022

Ah, those are addicting, too!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2022

Need I say more? I could go into a candy coma finishing an endless bowl of these classics!

Like # people like this
Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2022

Pretty much anything and EVERYTHING from the school's "Tuck Shop" - the term is so old school I actually had to look up it's definition:"a shop, typically one on school premises, that sells confectionery, snacks, and soft drinks" - where everything was 1p or 2p, and some really cool fancy-$h!t was 10p!

Yes! Newsagents!

And in fancy shops or holiday resorts they were known as Pick & Mix, although, because all Brits are thieving scum (myself included #proud), we referred to them as Pick & Nick! (nick = steal)

One of my strongest memories from a Newsagents, was aged 5 or 6, getting my first ever Double Dip. That was a whopping 75p, and back in the 80s, compared to its 1p and 2p counter-parts (pun intended) was an insane price for candy!

SweetsDoubleDip.jpeg

Like # people like this
Sue Wilson October 6, 2022

I never was a fan of chocolate although I do enjoy a Snickers, Baby Ruth or Almond Joy on occasion.  Growing up, we always fought over who's turn it was to drive to the little market down the road with Dad for the Sunday paper & candy treats!  My favorite was always the candy necklaces!!  They lasted longer than the chocolates, lollipops, or other confections my siblings ate, so mine was a treat that lasted all day!  It still makes me chuckle when I think about my little brother & sister asking for a bite after their treat was gone and me smiling my biggest smile saying 'NOPE! You already ate yours!".  :-D  I know, it's mean, but living with 6 siblings where you had to share everything, this was a double treat for me. ;-) 

Candy Necklaces - Unwrapped 100ct | CandyStore.com

Like # people like this
Sue Wilson October 6, 2022

@Andy Gladstone - I couldn't agree more.  I can't understand why people look at me funny and say EEEEWWWW when I eat them?!    I like the ones with the 'chocolate' bottoms the best! 

Candy Corn - Indian – Half Nuts 

Like # people like this
Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2022

Growing up in the USA, on the other hand, we had instead of newsagents, gas stations a plenty!

I used to be quite partial to fruit-flavoured candy, like this thing Laffy Taffy, which had a joke on the wrapper.

In my experience, generally our candy is more occasional, like Easter / Halloween / etc, than in the UK where it is more like a snack or something you would have anytime of the year. All I know is that one of the good things of not living in the USA full-time is that I eat a lot less candy than when I was a kid! 

image.png

Like # people like this
Tosha Liveoak October 6, 2022

Ribbon candy! Reminds me of going to my grandparents house in Florida!

Screenshot 2022-10-06 084546.png

Like # people like this
Tosha Liveoak October 6, 2022

@swilson , I also L O V E candy corn!  The pumpkins are my favorite.  I have also made cookie toping out of melted candy corn.

Like # people like this
Aida Johnson October 6, 2022

126903-01_now-and-later-fruit-chews-candy-5lb-bag

Like # people like this
Dean Schaffer
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2022

Oh the days of munching Chick o Stick when I had enough money to buy one. Always checking the payphone change return for coins and collecting pop bottles to turn in for the deposit. As soon as I had enough, straight to the store to buy a chick o stick.

Current-chick-o-stick-king-size.jpg

Like # people like this
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2022

My favourite were Galatine :)

Le caramelle più buone degli anni 80 e 90

Like # people like this
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2022

My favourite were and still are Napoleon Bonbons.

napoleon.jpeg

Like # people like this
Taryn Tomasik October 6, 2022

When I was little I loved these candy dots/buttons. You rip them off the paper and eat them. As an adult it does not sound appealing but as a kid the novelty of picking paper off your candy was fantastic. Each color had a slightly different flavor but I honestly don't remember. I'm sure it was pure sugar and food dye.

Capture.PNG

Like # people like this
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2022

When I was younger I LOOOOVVEEED Reeces Peanut Butter Cups for the peanut butter.  Reeses-PB-Cups

As an adult, I love the peanut butter cup, but I'm picky on the chocolate portion.  If it's Reece's or any other brand, the chocolate has to be dark chocolate.

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2022

@Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_  - love me some Reece’s cups!!

Like # people like this
Stuart Capel - London
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2022

Oh man, the smell of a good old newsagents. Full of newspapers and magazines and sweets. And pick and mix from Woolworths! Takes me back. I used to get a massive bag and pray it didn't way a kg so I'd have to put some back. Pretty much always had to put some back 

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2022

I've got a bit of a candy problem.
Directly in front of me I can see Werther's, Reece's mini's, Kit Kat, Gummies, Chocolate covered Raisin's... Galaxy Bar's, another flavor of Werther's... This continues in our house from entry door to back room office.  Grandkids love coming here.  As a child my mother's home was much the same.  Also as a child outside of commercial candy it was most often purchased for pennies/per piece or pieces/per penny and delivered in a plain brown bag from the local small independent corner store.  This grab-bag of sorts included anything from jaw-breakers, to gum-balls, to caramels, or licorice, gummies, .... 
It would have to be that grab-bag that I would call my childhood favorite :)  suppose I've just turned the house into a very large version of that LOL

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2022

I have never had the pleasure to visit a newsagents, but it sounds like it smells amazing! 

Mine favorite was definitely Nerds! Frist of all I loved and still do love the name of the candy because I was a nerd! My second favorite was penny candy! I used to get atomic fireballs, little boxes of redhots, lemonheads, jawbreakers, and Boston baked beans and so many more! Oh my gosh - I WANT SOME NOW! 

nerds_wtm_cherry.png

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2022

Thanks everyone! So much fun to read your comments and reminisce :) I am moving tomorrow so not working for pay (i.e. OOO), therefore I bid you all a great weekend now!

Like # people like this
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2022

My favorite candy and still one of my favorite is Tronky! :D

20200521130239_ferrero_gofreta_tronky_20gr.jpeg

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 8, 2022

I've come here to look at the candy.
Don't judge!!

Like # people like this
Sakina
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2022

Galaxy 😋

Like # people like this
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2022

Deli guarana 💚 - they obviously needed to take this candy down because it's not that healthy for kids but I loved it so much!

Screenshot 2022-10-10 at 09.44.21.png

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events