Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throwback Thursday: What websites do you look up on oldweb.today? #TBT

It's Thursday!
giphy
You guys probably know about this but there are couple of sites that take snapshots of web pages. Archive.org and Oldweb.today. I really like the latter because you can choose the browser to view the page in :) Navigator 4 on Win, here I come!!!
z_cnnold.jpg
Soooo, what websites do you look up on these "time machines"?
Let’s make it a great Thursday!
KGM

24 comments

Comment

Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2024

Ahh, I've tried archive.org, but not oldweb.  Maybe have to go look up somethings on the old yahoo search pages!

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2024

Never knew these existed. Besides, I lived through all of those  haha

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2024

I prefer the current state of the web in Chrome browser. Just looking at the geocities.com site I brought up on oldweb brought back memories of slow web connections and click and wait sessions.

Like # people like this
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2024

I was dreaming when I wrote this so sue \me if I go to fast.

Cause Life is just a party and parties weren't meant to last.

2000 0 0 party over oops out of time.

So tonight I'm gonna browse like it's 1999.

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2024

How did I not know about these sites. 😳

you learn something new every day!

Like # people like this
Ram Kumar Aravindakshan _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2024

I've tried Alta-Vista and Cnet new on Archive.org

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2024

That would be the website I used to run from 2000 till 2013: FordEurope.net, an independent portal site about Ford in Europe with news, pictures, club directories, dealer sites, wallpapers, a forum ...

In the beginning, it used to be hosted at GeoCities. As I didn't have an IT education (I graduated as management assistant), I learned HTML during my night shifts at IBM while working at the 24/7 call center/helpdesk and gradually learned to build a basic site, not even using CSS.

Later on, I moved to WordPress and finally to SubDreamer CMS in combination with a phpBB forum.

FordEuropenet.jpg

Calling yourself a "webmaster" was the thing... 🙄😂

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2024

Woah, I never knew these existed. Brings back memories of this...can almost hear the sound... :-D 

Dial Up The Struggle GIF

Like # people like this
Lacy Saute
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2024

Oh cool! I hadn't used these sites before but I'll be poking around now. :)

Like # people like this
Shawn Doyle - ReleaseTEAM
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2024

My go to has always been The Way Back Machine  https://web.archive.org/

I'm not sure I have a regular site I look up, but I usually use this to research older companies or websites from acquired companies.  Like what was that tool called before Atlassian bought them?

Like # people like this
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 25, 2024

I also never heard of these before, but I just wasted spent 10 minutes crashing Navigator and feeling old🙃

Like # people like this
Laurie Sciutti
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2024

Learned something new today!  And @Amanda Barber ~ I definitely heard your meme!  hahaha

Like # people like this
Summer Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2024

Great question @Kristján Geir Mathiesen, but I had no ideas these existed and really don't want to relive those days of horrible websites that were difficult to navigate. Looking at the image you have above though makes me happy that technology has come so far! 

Like # people like this
Vronik
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 25, 2024

Hi

I didn't even remember that they existed, thanks for bringing it up, I'll check it out.
Thank you so much for sharing this kind of stuff

Happy Thursday everyone

Like # people like this
Liz Tanner July 25, 2024

1. Angelfire

2. Geocities - I still have a site here memorized where I pirated the entire Star Wars soundtrack... in MIDI. If I can access the site still, I'll post the link. I am 100% the 3 1/2 in. floppies survive in my parent's office in OKC.

3. Altavist, search Myst and Riven walkthrough - If someone ever won Riven without a guide, I fear you. I respect you, but I also fear you.

Like # people like this
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2024

I always use the Way Back Machine too for this type of "research", although I haven't in a while. Guess the world's moving too fast to go back! although now I'm curious to go check out sites I'd worked on in the very far past....

Hope you had a GREAT Thursday! @Kristján Geir Mathiesen 

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2024

@Liz Tanner if you find those MIDI versions of the Star Wars soundtrack, please, please share!

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2024

You guys rock! Thanks for positive and fun comments. Lots of love all around!

And @Dan Breyen , good one!

TBT Happy Friday yall.jpg

Like # people like this
Ncumisa Booi July 29, 2024

Archive i have never tried but oldweb yes But I love the new browsing experience.

Like # people like this
Emmanuel.A July 30, 2024

Tony Hawk, skatepark

Like # people like this
Ingo Volkhausen
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2024

I have examined our company's websites. The content was already fine in the past :-)

Like # people like this
Tomasz Kowalczyk
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 1, 2024

i knew archive, but oldweb.today is pretty cool! thanks

Like # people like this
Dustin Smith (K15t) August 2, 2024

Geocities for sure. Also, the classic Space Jam website in all its 1996 glory: https://www.spacejam.com/1996/

Like # people like this
vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2024

it is cool, i do not know about these sities 

thanks for sharing @Kristján Geir Mathiesen 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events