Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throwback Thursday: What was your first remote controlled toy? #TBT

It's Thursday!
giphy
I think this was the Christmas of 1979, when I go my first remote controlled toy. It was a sleek grey and black Trans Am (I think - you can see it on the picture). And if I remember correctly, it had an actual wheel on the remote.
aRC.jpg
Sooooo, what was your first remote controlled toy?
Let’s make it a great Thursday!
KGM

19 comments

Comment

Stephen_Lugton
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2024

I can't remember when it was but years ago I built Cybot from a series of magazines which gave a new part each week, it could follow a line, had avoidance sensors and a remote control:

Cybot.png

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2024

Dang, is it Christmas again already??  This year is flying by. 

Not sure that I ever had a remote controlled toy - car or otherwise. If I did, I really don't remember it. I was more of an electric train guy. 

Like # people like this
Teodora V
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2024

My first remote-controlled toy was a white Honda CRX I bought for myself while working in Botron Software 6 years ago 😆 I was about 20 years late to this party.

Like # people like this
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2024

Does the TV count?  I remember a TV with a two button remote.  One that switched between the channels and the other that controlled the volume of the remote.

Like # people like this
Ram Kumar Aravindakshan _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2024

It was a Porsche 911 remote control toy car.

Like # people like this
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2024

I have never had a remote-controlled toy. I'm sure I've bought at least one for a nephew for Christmas, but I cannot remember what.

Oh, I'll take that back if a Home Dock for iPod counts. This is for the original big 32GB iPod, both of which I bought in 2004 and I still have. I last used it in my office at my pre-pandemic job, which is the last time I went to the office.

Like # people like this
Alex G June 6, 2024

A small scalextric set ☺️ 

Like # people like this
Shawn Doyle - ReleaseTEAM
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2024

Little red race car, mid-70s, but it had a wire between the controller and the car, so not sure it counts. 

A few years latter I had one w/o a wire, don't recall the color or make, but it would only go straight forward or backward while turning to the right.

Neither lasted very long.

Like # people like this
Laurie Sciutti
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2024

I don't ever recall having a remote-controlled toy.  And the TV remote didn't really exist when I was a kid ~ WE were the "remotes".  Yes ~ I'm THAT old.  😆

Like # people like this
Daria Kulikova June 6, 2024

I'm not sure that I've ever had a remote control toys, but TV for sure :) I remember that when I was a kid I used to like switching the channels but never watching TV :)

Like # people like this
Jacqueline Eichberger June 7, 2024

its long time ago,.... but i think it was a boat! I got it from my brother... it was blue - grey. :D

Like # people like this
Ananjan_Mishra June 7, 2024

Back in the day, I was all about those remote-controlled toys. I had quite the collection! My very first remote-controlled car was a red plastic Ferrari with a wire, and I'd zoom around with it while having to chase after it to steer.

Good times! Thanks for sharing, @Kristján Geir Mathiesen! Your post brought back some fantastic memories!

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2024

Thank you all for fun memories!

TBT Happy Friday yall.jpg

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2024

Late to the party since I had a half day yesterday, but I don't recall any from my childhood. My 9yo daughter loves RC cars now, though, so we have several. Our dog loves to chase them and it always makes everyone laugh!

Like # people like this
Tim Jansmann June 7, 2024

I had a remote-control tank! It was the best!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2024

A bit late to this discussion. I am not sure it would be considered remote controlled, but the controls were not directly attached to the vehicle so here it goes:

Lionel HO Gauge Train Set.

We used to pull this out every winter and had amazingly elaborate setups that would take up a wide area in our play room. Every year we'd get a few new accessories or trains for Chanukah - so it grew with us. We were allowed to buy accessories during the year, but only with money we earned from chores or helping neighbors. I still remember ordering the pieces from magazines since they were only available at specialty hobby shops and via magazine. And it always seemed they were shipping from the West Coast, so from order -> delivery would be an excruciatingly long time!

Like # people like this
Vronik
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2024

My first remote control toy was a fisher price fire truck and I remember it very fondly.

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2024

Ouch, my memory has forsaken me on this one, but I do remember:

255 Computer Command

Technically, this is not an RC, you program the direction from buttons under the hood.

255 Computer Command.jpeg

Tamiya - Ford F-150 Ranger XLT

A very expensive Christmas gift I got from my father who built it, it took hours and hours to complete.

Ford F150 Ranger XLT Tamiya.jpeg

Like # people like this
Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2024

car

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events