Throwback Thursday: What was the first stereo you owned? #TBT

It's Thursday!
giphy
Hee Haw, Jester is dead! Oh, sorry. I just saw "Top Gun" and then went to see "Maverik" shortly later so I am still all swept up in that :) Hee Haw, it's Thursday! is more like it...
My first stereo was a cassette player / radio combo. Can't remember how old I was, maybe 10 or so. Little thing similar to this sucker:
stereoca.png
Then I got a similar stereo to this one below as a confirmation gift when I was 13.
sharp.png
So, what was the first stereo you owned?
Let’s make it a great Thursday!
KGM

13 comments

Comment

Daniel DuBravec June 16, 2022

8track.png

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2022

I don't remember the exact make and model, but it would be something like @Daniel DuBravec . It DEFINITELY had an 8-track and radio.  :-)

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2022

PANASONIC RE-8250 STEREO RECEIVER W/ DUAL 8 TRACK TAPE

Not my first one (first one was probably closer to @Daniel DuBravec's or maybe even an old console you know the furniture all in one cabinets, passed down to me.. I remember one of those in my bedroom as a kid.....) but it's this one I remember the most from back then.
I was the talk of the neighborhood when I brought out a mix-tape I'd cut off of tracks from both Zeppelin II & Zeppelin IV
panasonic8track.jpg

Like # people like this
Arthur Stepanyan June 16, 2022

How about this?

Not the one I owned, but the first one I listened to as a baby:

dnepr 5.jpeg

This monster was my parents' most valuable possession! I heard the gold standards of jazz and 50s pop while still in diapers. Cloth ones, as the disposable ones were not invented yet. Or at least, not in the USSR. 

By the way, this tape recorder "Dnepr" was made in Ukraine. It always was the technologically advanced part of the country.

Like # people like this
Sue Wilson June 16, 2022

It was Christmas '83....my parents ALWAYS got us kids the exact same number of gifts to avoid fighting over a favorite...when you are one of seven, the struggle is real.  Well, this particular Christmas, I watched my brothers and sisters open two or three presents to every one of mine.  My birthday happens to be a week before Christmas, so I thought either I wasn't getting as many because of the birthday OR I had done something wrong....queue my mom asking me to get one last gift for my sister hidden behind the couch as the 'big' gift for her.  Well, I begrudgingly went and did as asked only to see the tag had my name on it!!!  Ooooohhhhhh!  I was confused, surprised, but excited now that I understood the earlier disparity!  I opened the package to find my first ever, all and only mine, stereo!!  It was the phonograph, radio, dual cassette system I wanted so very much!!!  Best childhood Christmas memory ever!!

ANTIQUE VINTAGE SEARS SR AM/FM Stereo System Dual Cassette Record LP Vinyl  $20.00 - PicClick

(something like this one!)

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2022

Does this qualify as a stereo? Early 1980's era Fisher Price tape deck! I'm pretty sure I was past this when Appetite for Destruction was released, but certainly remember listening to The Breakfast Club soundtrack on it.

s-l1600.jpg

Like # people like this

This is so cute! I like the medical equipment-grade plastic enclosure and industrial-strengh controls. That's the way to baby-proof it, baby!

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2022

Does this count? This was the first musical device I had as a kid. The Barbie wind up record player! I loved this thing! 

Barbie.png

I also had one of these Sony Walkman Sport models. I loved that thing! I remember after years and years of use (and probably abuse) it stopped working and I was devastated! Good times! 

walkman.png

Like # people like this

My son cherished his Walkman when he was 7-8 years old.

Like # people like this
Ian Londesbrough June 16, 2022

Mine was a Heatkit valve amp made by my Dad in the 1950s a bit like this one … with an old pair of speakers and an old turntable when he upgraded to a Wharfdale (when Wharfdale was still a quality product not like the rubbish they produced in later years)Transistor amp and speakers and replaced his turntable. Must’ve been around 1977 when I got it handed down to me, I played the first album I bought in vinyl on it which was Bat Out of Hell in the same week it was released in the UK, I was 11300A1AF1-453F-479A-B507-DBA0D237A025.jpeg

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2022

Nice topic, @Kristján Geir Mathiesen !

My first that I owned, when I was 15 or 16, was a "Sony Stereo AM/FM Radio and Cassette Player/Recorder". I don't remember the exact model but it was very similar to the one shown below:

sony-sterio-radio-and-cassette-player.jpg

The sound quality was really great on it.

Have a great Thursday and rest of the week, everyone! 

Like # people like this
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 18, 2022

For me a portable Korean cassette player.  Can't remember the brand, but was rocking to to Bon Jovi, Guns and Roses and kpop from the 90s.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 26, 2022

I'm with @Andy Gladstone!  Fisher Price was technically my first cassette player as well!

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events