Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throwback Thursday: What clothes memories do you have? #TBT

It's Thursday!
giphy
When I was younger, I played a lot with cars and toys on the floor. I was crawling a lot. As a direct result, the knees would wear out fast on my pants. So my mom would patch them up with these really handsome, low-profile patches :=)  I vividly remember having pants with patches on the knees.
zkgmbot.jpg
Sooooo, what clothes memories do you have?
Let’s make it a great Thursday!
KGM

25 comments

Comment

Maciej Łyk May 30, 2024

So true, I can remember having patches on the most of pants at some age. Unfortunately there were no patches for the shoes - the tips became 'open' like flip-flops xD

Like # people like this
Kristian Klima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2024

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen Yep, patches were on most of my pants too! But it continued to my early teenage years :) 

I had a little brother and was playing with him a lot, so when the knees on my old jeans gave in, they were properly patched again. And then the patches gave in...

Which happened just when knee-hole pants became a fashion again at around 1990. With double holes, the volume of hanging fabric was very enviable :) 

Like # people like this
Stephen_Lugton
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2024

All I can really remember is that as a child I didn't care what I wore, and looking back at the few photos my parents took it seems like they didn't care either.  The photos show that I got around the holes in the knees issue by wearing shorts .

Like # people like this
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2024

The white linen sport coat and pants with sockless loafers of the 80's was fun.  (sadly I didn't have the Ferrari to go with it)

Oh yes, as a kid, there were plenty of knee patches on the blue jeans.  Heck, we even played baseball in them.  Who needed real baseball pants...

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2024

Stripes. Stripes. Everywhere. My mother was single-minded when it came to purchasing clothing for my brothers and me. T-shirts and Polo Shirts all had some form of horizontal stripes. So much so that they became part of my persona. 

I switched schools in third grade and entered a class that already had a student named Andrew Goldstein. So I became Andy. Then in 4th grade the teacher decided that I wasn't Andy Gladstone, I was Andy Stripes. You can already guess why. And the name stuck. For years. Twenty years after I was given that name I became close friends with the teacher's daughter and son-in-law. And the first time she saw me in their house she screamed "It's Andy Stripes". So now a whole new neighborhood and set of friends know that nickname and will use it infrequently.

Like # people like this
Kristian Klima
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2024

@Andy Gladstone 

Any chance the band called Stryper played a role in your style? Stripes everywhere :) 

stryper-then.jpg

Like # people like this
Marie-Anna Pate May 30, 2024

Fame was really big when I was little in the 80's, I vividly remember a brown velvet rara skirt and matching sweater with the Fame logo written in Gold letters. 

Like # people like this
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2024

I remember these terrible shoes :))))

Mitici occhio di bue! | Ricordi d'infanzia, Ricordi, Infanzia

Like # people like this
Shawn Doyle - ReleaseTEAM
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2024

I don't remember much of what I wore as a child, it was whatever my mom put out, but usually something from Woolworths, and probably way too many corduroy pants.

One clothing-related story is that after climbing the highest tree in town, with no witnesses, I took off my shirt and tied it to the top branch.  Turns out it was a school shirt, and the first time I wore it, my mother was more than upset when I came home sans shirt. Besides getting grounded, the shirt stayed up there for a couple of years proving my tree-climbing skills.

Like # people like this
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2024

Ahh, the memories. 😀

There are 4 girls in my family, and my mom used to dress us alike for special occasions, like Easter or Christmas. Once an older girl outgrew a dress, it was passed to the next one down. I'm sure my youngest sister felt like she wore the same thing for 5 years.

When I was in the 6th grade, my girlfriends and I had a thing going to see who could go the longest before their mom made them wear a dress. It was the days of pantyhose and slips. 🤢 I would wear pantyhose occasionally—under my jeans when it was 10 degrees F outside.

I am also from a time where, when you got a hole in the knee of your jeans, they became cut-off shorts—no one would be caught dead with a whole in their jeans and my mom was not a patch person. 

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2024

I'm an 80's baby and loved dressing like Punky Brewster! Mismatched socks and cuffed pants all day.

image.png

My other clothes memory still haunts me—my socks cannot have seams rubbing at the toes! My mom always teases me about that being such a big issue. My oldest daughter is the same way, haha!

Like # people like this
Laurie Sciutti
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2024

Yup ~ 70's baby here so the "fashion" wasn't great!  I also vaguely remember being able to find clothes that FIT!  getting older is fun... 😆

Like # people like this
Natalie Beiler May 30, 2024

I don't have any pictures to share but I sure do remember the bell bottom jeans we wore in high school back in the late 1970s.

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2024

I just remember how bad fashion was in the 80s.  We always joked how that would never come back but yet it is.  Giant sweaters, supper big and baggy pants, big shoulders, the list goes on.

Like # people like this
Vronik
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2024

Hi @Kristján Geir Mathiesen 

Jajajajajaja, the same thing happened to me, my knees suffered from my anxiety, but instead of suffering from them my pants suffered directly and they are full of scars, and when I look at them they remind me of the good times I have enjoyed.
I always wore shorts, they were and still are my favorite pants

What beautiful memories you have brought me today, thank you ;o)

Like # people like this
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2024

This reminds me of when I fell off my bike and tore my pants (possibly I was 10-ish). I had wounds that were aching, but I was more worried about my torn pants than the scrapes on my knees and arms because they were part of my school uniform that we recently bought.

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2024

Thanks for all your memories! So glad you enjoyed this trip down memory lane.

PhotoFunia-1717160813.jpg

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2024

I remember not getting my first part of jeans until I was in the 7th grad (about 13 years old). 

Like # people like this
Theresa McFarlane June 1, 2024

Who here wore Hypercolor, double socks, zcavaricci and candies?

Props if you had high hair to go with it! 

Like # people like this
Teodora V
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2024

I really can't help but share this photo of me and my brother in the emblematic '90s purple tracksuits.

IMG_6331.JPG

Like # people like this
Chris Lee June 3, 2024

In high school in the early 80's beachwear like Ocean Pacific tshirts and board shorts made it to the midwest and southeast where we lived.

Like # people like this
ABR June 10, 2024

Ahh! Those beautiful days! My mom had learnt how to use her sewing machine a little late in life, when she was about 30. But boy did she learn how to sew! We still wore store-bought dresses for big festivals and occasions like marriages of acquaintances. However, on a day to day basis, for holidays and special family occasions like birthdays and other parties, she made clothes for me and my little brother. I loved her designs! They allowed me to look pretty while being easier to move around in. As I grew so did her skill, so I was the happiest teenager around, being able to satiate all my fashion pangs at a fraction of the cost of my wealthier friends! They were all so envious that I had a Mom who not only had the finest skills but the fashion-forwardness that clearly classic and timeless!

I'm sorry that although I apparently have the fashion sense on point (according to my very fashion conscious daughter) I can't sew to save my life! Although I enjoyed the fruits of her passion and labour, I didn't learn the skills from my mom! I miss her so much!

Thanks for bringing the memories back!

Like # people like this
Emmanuel.A July 3, 2024

love the TBT posts

Like # people like this
LynnG July 25, 2024

These were cool in 1981 - 7-up shoes

https://images.app.goo.gl/9gmMesfQ7AKw7yar9

Like # people like this
LynnG July 25, 2024

Screenshot 2024-07-25 173813.png
These were cool in 1981...