Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throwback Thursday: What are some things that you used to do but don't any more? #TBT

It's Thursday!
giphy
New year and we are getting older :=) As time passes, things change, right! Change is inevitable. Therefore, we are not doing today some of the things that we used to do. For example, rememer fixing the audio cassette tape with a pencil?
zremember.png
Sooooo, what are some things that you used to do but don't any more?
Let’s make it a great Thursday!
KGM

21 comments

Comment

Ajay _view26_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2024

Great topic @Kristján Geir Mathiesen !

Gone are the days of scheduled TV shows 📺... Enter streaming services 🌐, where prime time is now my free time 🛋️✨.

download.jpeg

Like # people like this
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2024

Making sure the VCR had a tape in it with enough room on it so you could record your show. Then you had to find the right time to watch the recordings to free up space on your tape.  And then you couldn't watch anything while it was recording.

I'm glad DVRs have evolved where you can truly 'Set it and forget it' as you're recording onto a hard drive to watch later.

Like # people like this
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2024

Well, I used to drive to the office to work. I do not miss the driving in traffic part, though I do miss the in-person interaction with coworkers. 

Also, once upon a time, I stayed home waiting for a call (from a doctor, boyfriend, other earth shatteringly important entity). Thanks to cell phones, people can reach me wherever I am (whether I want them to or not).

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2024

I used to drink Red Bull to stay awake, until I discovered I had severe obstructive sleep apnea.

I rarely watch live TV anymore, nowadays it's VOD and streaming services.

Like # people like this
Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2024

Good question @Kristján Geir Mathiesen! This one had my head spinning with ideas so here are a few of them:

1. Use a phone book (the yellow pages I think) to find someone to do work around your house or car.
  2. Make mixed tapes - I used to make mixed tapes for all my friends so we could share our love of music.
  3. Call the movie theater to get movie times
  4. I'm with @Barbara Szczesniak on the driving to work! I have a full time WFH job so when I do get to go to the office it is extra special to see people. 
  5. And yes good points @Ajay _view26_ and @Dan Breyen on the scheduled tv and VCR taping. Funny to think about those days. 
Like # people like this
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 25, 2024

This is great, @Kristján Geir Mathiesen .  Based on the comments, it seems we're all in the same age range!  😆  I definitely remember "fixing" tapes with a pencil, taping shows on the VCR and calling the movie theater for showtimes!  How about calling POPCORN for the time?!?!  HAHAHA  Or the horrible modem dial-up sound?  Or being tethered to a wall while talking on the phone?  Watching Saturday morning cartoons - I admit, I kinda miss this one!  Anywho, thanks for the TBT ~ this was fun!  Have a great day, everyone!  🥰

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2024

Yes I agree, @Laurie Sciutti , I think you've hit the nail on it's head.

I had to google "calling POPCORN for the time" Thanks for sharing that. I've never heard of that before.

Thanks all for sharing. As so often, so much fun to read your comments.

giphy

Like # people like this
Ram Kumar Aravindakshan _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2024

I still recall when using the VCR, sometimes the video would go fuzzy. The cause would be fungus in the tape.

I would have to open up the tape and clean the fungus with a bit of alcohol very slowly.

And also when using the old Graetz CRT TV which was based on touch. Would need to use the hairdryer once in a way to clear up channel buttons.

Like # people like this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 26, 2024

Community Leader
Community Leader
January 29, 2024

Climbing up trees - I had a lot of fruit trees in my previous house. So climbing them and swinging like Tarzan from them was something I used to do—good old days when there were no computers or video game consoles.

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 29, 2024

I don't play video games much anymore, but when I do, it's on a PC using an NES and SNES emulator.

So, I no longer have to blow into a Nintendo cartridge when it wouldn't load on the first insert into the game console!

Like # people like this
meghna_singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 29, 2024

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen  <3 

I used to be normal, Now i am a MOM haha
I used to paint for hours without breaks, stay awake late could eat anything now i am hyper, not chill mom with sleeping cycles and all :D 

Like # people like this
AG
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2024

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen 

Playing outside like crazy for the whole day and still not satisfied :)

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 30, 2024

39e88bfd10e4a9b19bd90b7bf0c0aa88.gif

Like # people like this
Richard Scholtes January 30, 2024

I used to code and tweak on everything, until my wife would tackle me out of the office chair.

I don't do this anymore. I start working later and I am more organized in my schedules. So most of the time, when the clock would tell me: "Call it a day, Buddy!" I already finished my daily goal and therefore can power down the machine very easily.

Like # people like this
ABR January 31, 2024

Hi, @Kristján Geir Mathiesen ,

Great topic for Throwback Thursdays!

For me the most important change has been "App based life"! Now we have apps for everything - Shopping (particularly festive shopping which used to be a family outing), Eating out (again previously a family affair), even Exercising (games with friends are no more the norm)! While convenience is the name of the game, I have a feeling we might be missing out on personal stories and anecdotes to share with the next generation!

Thanks for the nostalgic topic!

Like # people like this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 31, 2024

Fixing the audio cassette tape! This brings me back to my first Metallica album and the ugly denim jackets and purple tracksuits (I bet anyone over 30 knows what I mean).

In the years occupied mostly with work and sleep, I had this habit of driving late at night or very early in the morning to clear my head. Just a quick ride around the city when everyone is either home or still sleeping. 

In a more "I'm so old" sense, what @Dan Breyen said 😆

Copying "The Matrix" from one 📼 to another 📼 along with its poorly translated and overwritten Bulgarian audio. I'm quite happy the tech evolved this much.

Like # people like this
Ankush Bora February 4, 2024

Just refreshed some memories from earlier years :

• When I used to play 'hours of badminton' through the week - almost daily. Used to be fun!!
    I still play a wee bit though. ;)
  • Going out for monthly groceries has become a thing of the past for me. And how!
    Most folks in Indian cities, may agree to this one.
  • Shopping at the mall! Online Shopping just seems so much more convenient
    I still miss the trial outs. :)
  • Really miss those FPS multiplayer games (was a big Counter Strike aficionado) on LAN & on Steam.
  • Miss those visits to the theater for movies.

I will stop at that......else this could turn out to be the yellow pages for 'how times have changed'.

Yellow Pages Motion Graphics GIF by Zach Ritchie

Like Barbara Szczesniak likes this
Çiğdem Büyükaşik
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 8, 2024

I love the topic @Kristján Geir Mathiesen !
In my first trip abroad, I had a physical map of Barcelona and was feeling pretty lucky to have found it :) whereas now, no need to say that we rely on our phones and GPS in cars. A huge difference in how we prep for travels.  

Like Barbara Szczesniak likes this
Sathish Kumar Golla February 15, 2024

Used to play a video game in Game store for 1Buck 15min 

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2024

Sleep well.  As I have gotten older having a good nights sleep, deep sleep, is hard.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events